Splinter Cell 3 (Chaos Theory) on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Many people have had issues trying to get the Game to Play, and I am now one of them.

Obviously, I've tried Program Compatibility Changing, with no affect.

I even downloaded a Patch Update from File Planet. Still has the same error.

"This application can be launched with a Release Version of Miscrosoft Windows 95 OSR2.1/98/ME/ NT 4.0/2000/XP/ SERVER 2003 only."

PLEASE HELP ! ! !

Monday, March 30, 2015 1:56 AM

Answers

• Ok, so DirectX is good.

I looked into other threads with this problem but people propose several things. You can try to change the Compatibility Mode first (like you did at first place). Or you can try to uninstall and reinstall the game. Some people recommend also to update the driver of the graphic card. Maybe you can try these solutions.

However, is it the only game to do that on your computer?

Besides I don't know how to help you anymore more than that if it doesn't work, sorry :/

Monday, April 6, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Well, i thank you for the help anyway.

Yes, this is the only older-game that doesnt work.

I have Age of Empires (work great, except for minor color issues here and there)

Half Life Counter Strike (works just fine when I change compatibility mode)

SimCity (no problems at all)

Monday, April 6, 2015 6:33 PM

All replies

• ...Still waiting for some help.

I can play Versus, but not Single Player story mode.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 6:23 PM
  • Hi Diex,

If this application can be launched with a Release Version of Microsoft Windows 95 OSR2.1/98/ME/ NT 4.0/2000/XP/ SERVER 2003 only, obvious it is a compatibility issue which we should never expect that to get rid of this issue by changing Windows settings.

Regarding this kind of issue we suggest you contact game manufacturer/developer or player community for further advices.

Meanwhile, if this game could be launched in Windows XP, there is XP mode with Windows 7 and it might could help you.

For more information about Windows XP mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 7:49 AM
  • Here's the solution:

1) Install Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
    2) Install patch 1.05
    3) Extract SplinterCell3ChaosTheoryv1.05OSDVDFixedexeEuroAus to the game's folders :

http://www.gameburnworld.com/dl/dl.php?file=SplinterCell3ChaosTheoryv1.05OSFixNoDVDFixedexeEuroAus.rar

4) Extract SplinterCell3ChaosTheoryv1.05NoFixNoDVDFixedexeEuroAus to the game's folders:

http://www.gameburnworld.com/dl/dl.php?file=SplinterCell3ChaosTheoryv1.05NoDVDFixedexeEuroAus.rar

5) Lauch splintercell.exe from the "System" folder of the game.

6) Enjoy !

PS: Of course you're allowed to do this only if you have an original copy of the game.

• Edited by GGBZ Wednesday, April 1, 2015 9:43 PM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 9:36 PM
  • Yes, I have the Retail Version (Disc). Bought it a few days ago.

I already had the patch applied, and I dropped those .RAR files in, and even extracted the contents to their propper folders.

Now it says "The program can't start because binkw32.dll is missing from you computer..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But that file is in the SYSTEM folder, so I dont know why it's saying that...

Anyway, when I open up the other .exe file, it doesnt do anything.

• Edited by Diex2005 Thursday, April 2, 2015 2:07 AM
    Thursday, April 2, 2015 12:54 AM
  • You only have to launch the game from the .exe file which was in the .RAR

It's weird that it keeps saying that about the dll file.

Here's my binkw32.dll from my own folder, download it and replace the older one:

http://uplea.com/dl/20F7737580350E1?lang=en

Tell me if it works.

• Edited by GGBZ Thursday, April 2, 2015 12:26 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2015 12:25 PM
  • Well, that got rid of the Error Message, but now, when i open the .exe (the one from the .ZIP), a little hourglass icon appears next to my mouse cursor for about 1 second, then disappears, and Nothing happens after that.

I right click, choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, and again; Nothing Happens. It wont start for some reason.

Friday, April 3, 2015 8:28 AM
  • That's weird, I Don't know why it's doing that.You don't need to run it as administrator so as the game works.

Do you launch the splintercell3.exe in the System folder?

By the way if you rename the .exe, it won't work. It has to stay "splintercell3.exe"

Friday, April 3, 2015 10:59 AM
  • Nothing's renamed, and in my TASK MANAGER, it shows that the game is running, and using 32,000 bytes of memory, even though it wasnt showing the game on my screen.
    Monday, April 6, 2015 4:27 AM
  • The game works. So the problem is coming now from your computer and it's difficult to know what it is. Maybe the game doesn't recognize your graphic card, maybe it's coming from Direct X or from something else.

Let's see first what version of Direct X do you have. Clicl the Start Button, type "dxdiag" then Enter.

You'll have your version of Direct X on one of the lines.

Monday, April 6, 2015 1:57 PM
  • It says Directx 11
    Monday, April 6, 2015 4:34 PM
  • Ok, so DirectX is good.

I looked into other threads with this problem but people propose several things. You can try to change the Compatibility Mode first (like you did at first place). Or you can try to uninstall and reinstall the game. Some people recommend also to update the driver of the graphic card. Maybe you can try these solutions.

However, is it the only game to do that on your computer?

Besides I don't know how to help you anymore more than that if it doesn't work, sorry :/

Monday, April 6, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Well, i thank you for the help anyway.

Yes, this is the only older-game that doesnt work.

I have Age of Empires (work great, except for minor color issues here and there)

Half Life Counter Strike (works just fine when I change compatibility mode)

SimCity (no problems at all)

Monday, April 6, 2015 6:33 PM
  • You don't have to thank me as it doesn't work yet :/

But if what I propose doesn't work, try to post a thread on specialized videogames forums. You'll certainly have more help and maybe find a solution to this problem.

I hope you'll find the solution and enjoy this great game !

Monday, April 6, 2015 8:04 PM