Outlook Mobile using Kerberos Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to deploy Outlook for iOS and have it use Kerberos authentication to an Exchange 2016 on-prem back-end?  I have not found much documention on this.
    Monday, December 10, 2018 4:09 PM

All replies

• Is it possible to deploy Outlook for iOS and have it use Kerberos authentication to an Exchange 2016 on-prem back-end?  I have not found much documention on this.

No, what is the reason for this? kerberos is not intended for uses such as this (internet/mobile etc..)

Monday, December 10, 2018 8:04 PM
  • I would like the end-user to have an Outlook for iOS password unreleated to their domain password so when they change their domain password Outlook for iOS is unaffected. Does it support certificate based auth?
    Monday, December 10, 2018 8:39 PM
  • I would like the end-user to have an Outlook for iOS password unreleated to their domain password so when they change their domain password Outlook for iOS is unaffected. Does it support certificate based auth?

Use cert based auth yes. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/plan-and-deploy/post-installation-tasks/configure-certificate-based-auth?view=exchserver-2019

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 12:18 AM
  • Does Outlook for iOS support cert auth with a non-domain container password?
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:38 PM
  • Does Outlook for iOS support cert auth with a non-domain container password?

What do you mean about non-domain container password?

The certificate based authentication is configured in Exchange 2016 to use with your Exchange mailbox. For Exchange mailbox, it requires domain password for authentication.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, December 13, 2018 10:08 AM
  • I would like Kerberos or certificate authentication as well as an app password configured for Outlook for iOS. Meaning, the app password defined on Outlook for iOS would be independant from the users domain password, defined exclusivley on the device.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 2:41 PM
  • I would like Kerberos or certificate authentication as well as an app password configured for Outlook for iOS. Meaning, the app password defined on Outlook for iOS would be independant from the users domain password, defined exclusivley on the device.
    Azure supports app passwords though I am not sure why you want that if using cert based auth.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:08 PM
  • Anything like that possible on-prem?
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:31 PM
  • Anything like that possible on-prem?

not that I am aware of, no. 

If you proxy through Azure you can probably take advantage of it, though using cert based auth and app passwords do not make sense. 

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 6:34 PM