none
MDT 2013 SysPrep And Capture TS Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I just cleaned installed Server 2012 R2, Windows 8.1 ADK, MDT 2013.  Everything is working fine from a server standpoint, I can PXE boot in the WinPE enviroment, ect.  I then created my VM of Windows 7 (Audit Mode), disabled system restore, disabled UAC, made some view tweaks, installed all updates, deleted the fax/xps printers, and just a few other minor tweaks.  I created my TS to sysprep and capture, then within windows 7 went to run, typed \\wds\deploymentshare$.  Navigated to the scripts section, ran litetouch.vbs, it processed rules ect, typed in my credentials, saw my capture/sysprep TS, nothing out of the ordinary compared to MDT 2010 or MDT 2012.

My problem is as soon as I run my sysprep and capture TS, it starts, but within like 5 seconds it finishes.  No logs, no minnit folder, no errors, nothing.  Everything finishes as if it's completed.  I checked the Panther folder to see if anything is going on, nothing.  I checked the TEMP folder in windows and see my logs and everything I'm looking at almost shows as being successful.  It is not executing sysprep and booting into the PE enviroment to capture my WIM.  Is there somthing I'm doing wrong?  My rules are exactly as they were in MDT 2010, and MDT 2012. 

Thank You.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 12:47 AM

All replies

• Parsing step node: Execute Sysprep TSManager 06/30/2014 9:10:57 PM 2268 (0x08DC)
    Description: TSManager 06/30/2014 9:10:57 PM 2268 (0x08DC)
    ContinueOnError: false TSManager 06/30/2014 9:10:57 PM 2268 (0x08DC)
    SuccessCodeList: 0 3010 TSManager 06/30/2014 9:10:57 PM 2268 (0x08DC)
    (__hrMethodRetVal == ((HRESULT)0L)) || (bFailIfMissing == false), HRESULT=80070002 (e:\nts_sms_fre\SMS\common\inc\ccmxml.h,566) TSManager 06/30/2014 9:10:57 PM 2268 (0x08DC)
    No condition is associated with the step. TSManager 06/30/2014 9:10:57 PM 2268 (0x08DC)
    Disable: false TSManager 06/30/2014 9:10:57 PM 2268 (0x08DC)

This portion was interesting inside my SMSTS.log in the appdata/temp directory.  Hope this helps a tad.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:27 AM
  • If anyone wants to check out my logs I have supplied them here.  Thank You.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-POghcW9hMnQU41ZlVyZUlzQzA&usp=sharing

• Edited by Kyle-21 Tuesday, July 1, 2014 2:27 AM
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 2:26 AM
  • 80070002 means "not found".

I would recreate the capture task sequence and try again on the same reference machine. If the issue persists, just initiate the task sequence on any other test machine.

This will help you isolate if the issue is machine specific or something to do with TS.

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 7:06 AM
  • It is definitely the TS.  Just tried it on a desktop I have sitting next to me and same results.  0 Errors, 0 Warnings, Deployment Complete.

*Edit.  I have my Image.WIM from my old MDT 2012 server and I can confirm I have no issues deploying the images.

• Edited by Kyle-21 Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:00 PM
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 11:28 AM
  • Here is my rules as well if this can help.  And just to clarify this is sysprepping and capturing a Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 VM.

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipApplications=YES
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipUserData=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    JoinDomain=xxxxxx
    DomainAdmin=xxxxxxx
    DomainAdminDomain=xxxxxx
    DomainAdminPassword=xxxxxxx
    DomainErrorRecovery=MANUAL
    MachineObjectOU=OU=x64 Domain Computers,DC=mcti,DC=local
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    UILanguage=en-US
    UserLocale=en-US
    KeyboardLocale=0409:00000409
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    TimeZone=035
    TimeZoneName=Eastern Standard Time
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipFinalSummary=YES

• Edited by Kyle-21 Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:20 PM
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:19 PM
  • I use a separate share for just sysprep and capturing, here is my config:

[Default]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=Reference Image Creator
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    SkipCapture=NO
    DoCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    AdminPassword=xxxxx
    ComputerBackupLocation=\\server01\Captures$\Captures
    BackupFile=Cap_#month(date) & "-" & day(date) & "-" & year(date)#.wim
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipFinalSummary=YES
    FinishAction=SHUTDOWN

and it's the standard sysprep and capture TS, but I do disable the 2 parts having "Add mass storage drivers to sysprep.inf for XP and 2003"
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:45 PM
  • You're telling it to skip the capture pane in the Wizard (SkipCapture=YES) but you're not giving it any other information, such as ComputerBackupLocation and BackupFile.

See tiptronic's CS.ini for an idea on how to get this done.

-Nick O.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 2:33 PM
  • So here are my new rules.....Still having the same issue.

[Settings]
    Priority=TaskSequenceID, Default

[0001]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    SkipCapture=NO
    DoCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    ComputerBackupLocation=\\wds\deploymentshare$\Captures
    BackupFile=Windows7x64ProSP1CustomMCTI.wim
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipFinalSummary=YES
    FinishAction=SHUTDOWN

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipApplications=YES
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipUserData=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    JoinDomain=xxxxxxx
    DomainAdmin=xxxxxxxx
    DomainAdminDomain=xxxxxxx
    DomainAdminPassword=xxxxxxxxx
    DomainErrorRecovery=MANUAL
    MachineObjectOU=OU=x64 Domain Computers,DC=mcti,DC=local
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    UILanguage=en-US
    UserLocale=en-US
    KeyboardLocale=0409:00000409
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    TimeZone=035
    TimeZoneName=Eastern Standard Time
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipFinalSummary=YES

• Edited by Kyle-21 Tuesday, July 1, 2014 9:36 PM
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 3:10 PM
  • So if I change to 

[Settings]

Priority=TaskSequenceID

I removed the Default from Priority...now it seems like it just completely ignores my TS ID to Capture/Sysprep [0001].

The good part is, since it completely ignores my TaskSequenceID and now that default is removed, I can run through all the steps answering the questions and it does Execute Sysprep, Reboots in PE, and successfully captures the image 0 issues.  Is something wrong with my Rules that I posted above?

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 9:52 PM
  • I don't see DoCapture=Yes anywhere in the bdd.log file. Note that the Sysprep step is gated on the presence of this variable.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 10:41 PM
  • did you every get this issue resolved? I ask  because I'm having the same issue with attempting to capture an image using mdt 2013. I have setup and used the basic sysprep and capture task. I have changed by custom.ini file several ways with no success. The system i'm testing is not domained joined and I'm mapping the deployment share and running the litetouch vbs file. it launches but its not running successfully. I may try your setting to see if I have any better results. I've also read where they say start cmd as admin and run the script from command prompt. I'm going to try that but wanted to see how anyone else is running the script. By the way in your custom.ini file what does th e[0001] stand for is this the id of your sequence task for capturing?
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 2:18 AM
  • You should start a new thread.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 11:18 PM
  • Uncomment the JoinDomain=<your domain> line in the CustomSettings.ini and try to capture again.

Just put a semicolon in front of it, save it and update the deployment share.

This one made my crazy when I upgraded my MDT2010 to MDT2012 and newer.

I consider this a bug introduced with 2012 - if JoinDomain=<foobaar.whatever.local> is in your CustomSettings.ini aka rules the sysprep and capture task will complete successfully in seconds without actually doing anything.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 5:50 PM
  • First, I would recommend that you remove SkipCapture=YES from Default.  

Second, you should use FQDN or an IP address if you aren't already in the line ComputerBackupLocation=\\wds\deploymentshare$\Captures.

Finally, the JoinDomain=xxxxxxxxx line will cancel any capture sequence.  I had to remove that from my cs.ini file to get my capture windows to show up again.  It's obnoxious.

That's just 3 things that I've noticed caused this problem in my very limited experience.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:05 PM
  • I had to remove that line from my MDT 2010 server or I had the same issue.  This bug predates MDT2012.
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:08 PM