none
ODT 2016 - Invalid product ProPlusVolume specified RRS feed

• Question

• We have a problem when trying to use 2016 ODT to create an Office 2016 ProPlus App-V package. When running the commands we get an error that we have specified invalid product. However we followed every step on Technet and still get the same result. In powershell we get the following error:

?Invalid product ProPlusVolume specified. ??Error configuring products!?

The configurtion.xml file:

<Configuration>
     <Add SourcePath="D:\Temp\Office" OfficeClientEdition="32">
        <Product ID="ProPlusVolume">
          <Language ID="nl-nl" />
        </Product>
      </Add>
      <Updates Enabled="FALSE" Channel="Current" />
      <Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />
      <Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1" />
    </Configuration>

We are using version 16.0.7213.5776 of the 2016 ODT. Released on July 20, 2016. Commands output when running Powershell as administrator:

PS D:\TEMP\setup.exe /download D:\TEMP\configuration.xml
    PS D:\TEMP\setup.exe /packager D:\TEMP\configuration.xml  D:\TEMP\AppV
    ?Invalid product ProPlusVolume specified. ??Error configuring products!?

Everythings goes fine until we use the packager command. Could some one help us out in what we are doing wrong? We have created a package before (januari 2016) and the methodes should not have changed in the meantime. We have used the following link to create the package:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt590515.aspx

• Edited by Black_ Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:01 PM Added link to create appv package
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 1:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have confirmed this with the product group, currently Office 2016 is not supported as App-V Package. Volume license SKUs are blocked in the ODT with the /packager switch.

If volume license should be used, you have to install it classical via MSI.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Black_ Tuesday, July 26, 2016 10:02 AM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 8:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I just did some quick testing and I've got the same failure in my lab. There might be something wrong with the Office Deployment Tool or the source file, I will try to pass this to the product group for a confirmation. If there is anything new, I will update here.

Thank you for focusing on Microsoft product.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 22, 2016 6:10 AM
  • although the App-V documentation https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt590515.aspx clearly states several ProductIDs to use, the information is incorrect.

The updated list of ProductIds is here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/2842297 and <Product ID="ProPlusVolume"> is not listed as valid.

NB: also note that the ProductIDs for Visio and Project, are different, compared to the App-V documentation. The date on the App-V documentation is older than the Office documentation...

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Edited by DonPick Saturday, July 23, 2016 10:09 AM
    Saturday, July 23, 2016 10:07 AM
  • So how can we package Office 2016 ProPlus with a volume license if ProPlusVolume is nolonger a valid productid? I can't imagine we can use the O365ProPlus productid when using a KMS server for activation as we do now. Never the less I will test to see if it will work otherwise we need to use another distribution methode than App-V.
    Sunday, July 24, 2016 11:31 AM
  • Hi,

I have confirmed this with the product group, currently Office 2016 is not supported as App-V Package. Volume license SKUs are blocked in the ODT with the /packager switch.

If volume license should be used, you have to install it classical via MSI.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

• Marked as answer by Black_ Tuesday, July 26, 2016 10:02 AM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 8:32 AM
  • Ethan,

Will ProPlus ever be available for Virtualization?  With App-V getting baked right into Windows 10, it would be really nice virtualize Office.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 6:00 PM
  • Will ProPlus ever be available for Virtualization?  With App-V getting baked right into Windows 10, it would be really nice virtualize Office.

Office365ProPlus is already virtualized via C2R.
    Probably, it's MSFT's recommendation to use O365ProPlus rather than anything else...

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 9:09 PM
  • Hi Ethan,

is there an official statement available?

Regards,

Flo

Friday, August 12, 2016 2:39 PM
  • For Office 2016, the volume license version is not available.  As an enterprise we are Volume License subscribers.  I don't think we could deploy Product ID O365ProPlusRetail.  We would need O365ProPlusVolume.  Unless I am missing something. 
    Monday, August 15, 2016 2:14 PM
  • So we can't App-V Office 2016? Can we use Office 365 instead to get Office 2016 virtualized?

I would like to see an update on this topic.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 10:50 AM
  • So we can't App-V Office 2016? Can we use Office 365 instead to get Office 2016 virtualized?

I would like to see an update on this topic.

No kidding, what an absolutely unacceptable response from them. To have it available at one point and then disable it, any reason they would like to share other than wanting people to use O365?
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 9:41 PM
  • Try worked for me. I download the my ISO source from the VOL License portal extracted it and placed it local to test and worked like a charm:

Configuration>
        <Add OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel="Deferred" DownloadPath="C:\Temp\Office2016x64">
            <Product ID="ProPlusVol" PIDKEY="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX">
                <Language ID="en-us" />
                <ExcludeApp ID="Publisher" />
                <ExcludeApp ID="PowerPoint" />
                <ExcludeApp ID="OneDrive" />
                <ExcludeApp ID="Outlook" />
       <ExcludeApp ID="InfoPath" />
       <ExcludeApp ID="Project" />
       <ExcludeApp ID="SharePointDesigner" />
       <ExcludeApp ID="OneNote" />
                <ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />
                <ExcludeApp ID="Groove" />
                <ExcludeApp ID="Access" />
                <ExcludeApp ID="Word" />
            </Product>
        </Add>
        <Display Level="Full" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />
        <Updates Enabled="FALSE" />
        <Logging Level="Standard" Path="%temp%\Excel2016Install" />
        <Property Value="1" Name="AUTOACTIVATE" />
        <Property Value="FALSE" Name="FORCEAPPSHUTDOWN" />
        <Property Value="0" Name="SharedComputerLicensing" />
        <Property Value="TRUE" Name="PinIconsToTaskbar" />
    </Configuration>

Thursday, February 16, 2017 9:42 PM
  • are there any news on that problem with Volume Licensing and app-v packaging for visio 2016?

thx tom

Thomas Reitböck

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 11:24 AM
  • It's officially not supported anymore. I don't know how MS wants us to work. We are a hosting provider, hosting remote desktop servers for customers, both dedicated as well as shared RDS for small companies. We use AppV to deploy and publish software. However, now we can't use our VLK 2016 Office no more? We don't want to install it locally, that's not the idea behond AppV. Well then switch to Office 365 they say. Well, MS decided it's not allowed to use Office 365 on our shared platforms. Ofcourse, when  you host on Azure you ARE allowed to do so. MS is really bullying us and forces everyone onto their own platform. They slowly don't tolerate anything else no more. Well guess what, Office365 and Outlook.com have have quite some big outages over the last months, and we've had customers moving their mail back to our on-premise solution which hasn't had even a hickup for over a year.

Well anyway, even though it's not supported I created a new Office 2016 ProPlus VLK package today. I used an old version of the deployment tool, which I've uploaded here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApkCUv0wQm8UgwFgwRzJXD4N3H-R. That one still works with the VLK editions, given that it ofcourse still has the issues the old deployment tools always had. Like having to use an account with 8 or less characters in its name (yes, I don't make that up...)

Just edid the configuration.xml as needed. In my case:

<Configuration>

<Add OfficeClientEdition="32" Branch="Current">
          <Language ID="en-us" />
     <Language ID="nl-nl" />
        </Product>
        <Product ID="VisioProVolume">
          <Language ID="en-us" />
     <Language ID="nl-nl" />
    </Product>
    <Product ID="ProjectProVolume">
          <Language ID="en-us" />
     <Language ID="nl-nl" />
    </Product>
      </Add>
    </Configuration>

run setup.exe /download configuration.xml (add the correct paths if needed)

After that, run Setup.exe /packager configuration.xml D:\AppVPackage (again, mind the paths)

This command failed on me this time. Error 30016-7. It has done this before, but that was fixed in a new deployment tool build (but they don't support VLK anymore). So then I used Trausti's solution from here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/cb0b2b02-bb1f-4609-a230-0f8d71cf73c4/office-2016-appv-through-odt-error-300167 which is after the error:

browse to C:\Users\<user>\Appdata\Local\Temp and Copy "Microsoft Office" folder to "C:\Temp" and then rename it to MSO

After That run following command: C:\Temp\MSO\root\flattener\flattener.exe /Source:"C:\Temp\MSO" /Dest:"C:\Temp\Office 2016 AppV" /Version:"16.0.6366.2036" /ProductReleaseIDs:"ProPlusVolume,VisioProVolume" /Cultures:"en-US,x-none" /Platform:"x86"

This worked perfectly fine for me and I now have an Office 2016 VLK package with activated just fine to our VLK server, with version number 16.0.7830.1028.

Ofcourse, we won't get support from MS on this Office 2016 deployment, but in the past 4-5 years MS Pro support has been as useful as a solar powered torch anyway.

Monday, April 10, 2017 1:22 PM
  • Thanks for posting this and the upload. I have been struggling with this for the last several weeks as well. I did get single packages of OfficePro Visio and Project to work (VL) using Trausti's solution but not all three together. I am hoping using the older deployment tool I can once again get all three. We are moving from Office 2010 and 2013 all to 2016 this summer / fall so I need working App-V packages to help facilitate the upgrade. Office team really needs to fix this! Perhaps we need to tweet Satya to get some action on this. Blocking Office 2016 VL for App-V is an arrogant travesty! But hey at least we have Office on iPhone and iPad that is something to celebrate! /s 
    Tuesday, April 11, 2017 8:15 PM
  • So my workflow this evening was as follows

-Getting the older Office Deployment Tool from Robert's post above. (Thanks again)

-From domain account on a Windows 10 Enterprise machine, delete the desktop profile for a previously used local account called Office (run sysdm.cpl =>Advanced => User Profiles) Delete the profile for local office account

- Log on to Office account

- Run the old setup.exe (Office Deployment Tool) with the /download switch and verify the package downloaded is 1.31GB

- Once it completes run setup.exe with the /package switch 

- Flattener will work without issue and not crash because of the short username

- Check the log file to ensure it completed 100% and returned error code 0

- Check the AppV package is 1.2 GB labeled with all 3 packages I.E. VisioProVolume_ProPlusVolume_ProjectProVolume_en-us_x86.appv

- Load and test package and verify activation (I will do this tomorrow and post back)

If you need to run the Deployment Tool again please make sure to delete the desktop profile again otherwise you can run into all sorts of error and problems including the tool not being able to update HKCU and other issues with the \temp folder. 

Here is my configuration.xml file

<Configuration>
        <Add SourcePath="D:\Office2016\" OfficeClientEdition="32" Channel="Current">
                <Language ID="en-us" />
            </Product>
    <Product ID="VisioProVolume">
                <Language ID="en-us" />
    </Product>
    <Product ID="ProjectProVolume">
                <Language ID="en-us" />
            </Product>
    </Add>
    <Updates Enabled="FALSE"/>
        <Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE"/>
        <Logging Level="Standard" Path="%temp%"/>
        <Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1"/>
        <Property Name="FORCEAPPSHUTDOWN" Value="TRUE"/>
    <Property Name="SharedComputerLicensing" Value="1"/>
        <Property Name="PinIconsToTaskbar" Value="FALSE"/>
    </Configuration>
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:06 AM
  • Thanks for your post Robert.

Watch out for HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun.  Consider deleting or renaming this before a run to avoid conflicting information potentially causing failures. At your own risk obviously :)

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:43 PM
  • Zukie, wat would or could the impact be? I've got hundreds of users now running like this (although published to users - not to machines, which isn't supported anyway :)) without any issues.
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:53 PM
  • Update:

I wanted to create a new package today, to find that the old version of the deploymeny tool (which I uploaded, see above) didn't let me download the content anymore. So I got the latest deployment tool, let that download the content, and then used the old deployment tool to create the package. The result is a working package.

It's still beyond me why MS drops all 'on-premise' customers so hard in favor of Office365.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 1:28 PM