none
Uninstall MIM 2016 build 4.4.1237.0 / Install MIM 2016 build 4.4.1302.0 using existing database RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Tech fellows,

we have a MIM 2016 VM and another separate VM for the databases.

We need to uninstall MIM 2016 build 4.4.1237.0 (discontinued by Microsoft due to lots of bugs)
    and Install MIM 2016 build 4.4.1302.0 chosing the option "use Existing database"         

Has anyone been through this process ***using existing databases*** ?
    - are all MIM components actually stored on the Databases ?
      "Management Agents/Sync Rules/MPRs/Workflows/Sets...."
    - any points to focus on / except backing up the database encryption key ?
    - Is there any official guide released for such (or even previous version to 2016 upgrade) 
    - According to the MIM 2016 operational Guide, "chosing to use existing database" mean
      that no manual repopulation of the MIM Sync service metaverse would be needed

- does this mean that MIM is ready for use after the new binary install process ?
    - Should CSExport operations be performed to ensure no unwanted export happens  
    Any help would be much apreciated.

Thanks.

If the provided answer is helpful, please click 'Propose as Answer' Managing Office 365, Identities and Requirements Windows Server Virtualization, Configuration

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 2:33 AM

All replies

• I am trying to do the same thing. We are observing some known issues and need to upgrade, unfortunately need to uninstall and reinstall is all I have as well.

Testing it out on the test environment this week. Will be using the export script to document all:

https://jorgequestforknowledge.wordpress.com/2016/09/25/fimmim-configuration-export-scripts/

https://github.com/Microsoft/MIMConfigDocumenter

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 2:55 AM
  • To rollback an upgrade, you would restore the FIMSynchronizationService database and FIMService database, install the binaries to the same version as the restored database and choose the use existing database option.  The MAs, rules extension DLLs stored in the Extensions folder, metaverse and metaverse rules are stored in the FIMSynchronizationService database.  The Portal sync rules, MPRs, Sets, and portal data is stored in the FIMService database. 

Once you rollback the database, I would suggest turning off provisioning (Tools, Options within the Synchronization Manager UI), performing a full import of all MAs.  When done, perform a full sync of your source MA.  You can look at pending exports of your target MAs to verify any pending exports are as expected.  Do your Export, delta sync.  Once good, then turn on provisioning.

Best,

Jeff Ingalls

Thursday, September 20, 2018 11:35 PM
  • Hi Sayad,

have you been able to perform the upgrade ?

Thanks.

If the provided answer is helpful, please click 'Propose as Answer' Managing Office 365, Identities and Requirements Windows Server Virtualization, Configuration

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 3:34 PM
  • Hi

I have done this uninstall/reinstall operation for a couple of customers. Not recently but as I rember it's pretty straight forward. Just uninstall 1237 and then install 1302 reusing the database and you should be good to go. Don't forget to install hotfixes once you get rid of 1237 version.

/Johan

Thursday, October 4, 2018 1:45 PM