Can't Pin stuff to taskbar via the right-click menu RRS feed

• Question

• I have a strange issue where I can't pin applications to the taskbar via the menu that pops up when you right-click on it. The "Pin program to taskbar" option with the picture of a pin on the right is still there, but when I go to click it, there is no response. No freezing or anything, it's just as if I never clicked it. I can click the other options in the menu fine.

I haven't tried unpinning an application I already have pinned using this method, for fear that I'll never be able to pin it to the taskbar again.

Does anyone know what could be causing this issue, and how I could fix it? Thank you.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:46 PM

Answers

• Hi lvlln,

It is possible the issue is caused by third party software installed.

If it reoccurs, please test the issue in Clean Boot mode. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, you can use ShellExView to disable third party extension of Windows Explorer by the steps below:

1. Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

3. Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

4. Click Next and click Finnish.

5. Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

6. Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

7. Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

8. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:00 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:03 AM

All replies

• Hello lvlln,

Thank you for your question. I would like to know more about the problem you are facing.

1- Are you facing this with one application or all applications? If it is one application, what is it?
    2- Have you tried to pin applications to the taskbar by dragging/dropping over an empty area in the taskbar? Does this work?

Thanks,
    Tarek
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:44 PM
  • 1. This is the case with every application. I've had the entire taskbar itself freeze on me a couple times as well.
    2. Pinning via drag/drop does work.

It appears that I can't unpin programs using the button as well. I now have Apple Software Update permanently attached to my taskbar.

This is Windows 7 Pro x64, btw.

PS OK, I tried closing Windows Explorer, which promptly restarted, and it seems fixed now. I wonder what was going on, though....
    Friday, November 20, 2009 2:18 AM
  • Hello lvlln,

With your last note, do you mean that all functionality works as expected now? (pinning, unpinning)

It would have been interesting for me to know what got your machine into that state.

Thanks,
    Tarek
    Friday, November 20, 2009 5:19 AM
  • Hi lvlln,

It is possible the issue is caused by third party software installed.

If it reoccurs, please test the issue in Clean Boot mode. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, you can use ShellExView to disable third party extension of Windows Explorer by the steps below:

1. Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

3. Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

4. Click Next and click Finnish.

5. Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

6. Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

7. Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

8. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:00 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:03 AM