none
team assignments - teamlead to reassign tasks RRS feed

• Question

• All, here is a question:

Ideal situation:

1. Project manager assigns task to teamlead
    2. Teamlead reassigns to teammember
    3. Teamlead should be able to reassign to another resource, also if actuals are on the task

Is this what team assigment functionality does or is there another way to configure this way of work?

Regards,

Sander

Monday, July 23, 2012 2:45 PM

All replies

• Sander,

Actually, No. In reality, the Team Resource Functionality works like this:

• PM assigns task to a "team" resource, instead of a sopecific resource
    • The Team Lead reviews all the assignments for his/her team under Resource Assignments and divvies up the tasks.
    • Team members go to their Tasks page and click on Self-Assign Team Assignments.
    • A reassignment request is sent to PM< and once accepted, is shown in the tasks of the requestor, and disappears from the team resource list.

The re-assignment you are talking about falls outside of the Team Resource Functionality and works like a regular reassignment.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Monday, July 23, 2012 6:28 PM
  • Hi Sander,

Prasanna is correct - team functionality is something different than you are asking for.

To solve a similar request for a customer, I did the following:

• Created a resource for each team. I used team lead as Default Assignment Owner for this resource. Resource not allowed to log on to Project Server
    • PMs used this resource.
    • Team lead saw this task in his task view (I added resource name to task view).
    • He entered a very small actual to this task to have some Actual Work on it.
    • He used Reassign to reassign to a different team member.
    • Since he put Actuals on this task in the beginning, he was still able to see this task after reassigning, to reassign once more to another team member (after increasing remaining work).

Of course, there is a challenge: PM has to add whole team to project team, to make them available for reassignment. Or allow team leads to Build Team from Enterprise for any projects or on any projects he is member of.

Just an idea ...

Barbara

Monday, July 23, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Hi Prasanna, hi Barbara,

Thanks for your answers, you make the possibilities (and its challenges) very clear.

The challenge is to keep flexibility for the RM on the one hand and control for the PM on the other hand. I now think technology has no clear answer and i have to seek in strict procedural agreements...

Sander

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:36 AM
  • Hi,

One other question - when my team member self-assigns and the PM approves, team member sees ' one new task', however when I click it, I do not see the task is 'my tasks'.

Did something go wrong perhaps?

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:47 PM
  • Is there a filter on the Tasks page?

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:15 PM