Vista explorer and video problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, this is the irst time I've written on  forum, and I don't know much about computer maintinence so I hope someone can help as I'm getting desperate (Just spent £260 getting my pc fixed professionally and less than 3 weeks later I'm having tons of problems)!

Firstly, explorer has stopped working on login. I just have a blank black screen with a mouse visible. I have to ctrl>alt>delete to run task manager then run explorer in order to get my desktop to appear properly. This is happening every single time I login now....

Secondly my video files have stopped playing properly. I don't know if this is related but it started happening at around the same time. WMP no longer shows video, only audio. Have tried reinstalling various codec packs including divx and xvid but it's not helping. I have also downloaded all the newest windows updates and these haven't fixed the problem either. I can watch streaming videos online still, but I can no longer maximise them, if I do the video freezes, with just the audio carrying on.

Lastly Firefox is acting bizzarre... when I click on links it frequently opens a new window with multiple tabs which say 'link no longer available'; it also often jumps to a different site when I click on a link in google than the one I have directed it to.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version but this hasn't solved it.

I'm wondering if any of these problems relate to AVG Free, as this software was installed by the computer place where I had my laptop fixed (my Norton was out of date). I have recently run a registery cleaner (C Cleaner) and defraged to see if it would help but it hasn't...

I inherited this computer from my ex and so do not have a copy of the operating system or software on it in order to reinstall...

Not sure what info would be helpful, but here are the system specs:

Acer Aspire 9420  running Windows Vista Home Premium.
    Processor: Intel(R)Core TM(2)CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz
    Memory: 2GB
    System Type: 32 bit operating system

Please help!

Thanks.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:33 AM