none
Failed to create users when install software on RODC

Question

• Hi,

I recently put together a Read-Only Active Directory server for my company.  The RODC is replicating from the master AD.  I was installing a monitoring agent to all AD servers for monitoring and I was able to install the software on all the Read/Write AD servers.  When I tried to install that on my RODC server, it kept telling me "Failed to create user". 

I checked the users it's trying to create in AD and found there are two users been created in my other read/write ADs and replicated over to the RODC server.  Since this is a Read-Only server, how do I install the software that requires users to be created on the server?

I am very new to windows AD, any helps will be very much appreciated.

Harry

Friday, April 7, 2017 8:30 PM

All replies

• You cannot create users on the RODC, thats why it is a read only domain controller. Talk to the software vendor whether they have the need to install it on an RODC and workarounds.
    • Proposed as answer by Kim Lee Sunday, April 9, 2017 1:34 PM
    Saturday, April 8, 2017 4:41 PM
  • Hi Harry,
    The database on an RODC is read only. Applications can only read data from the directory when they target an RODC; they cannot write data in the directory. All read and write operations are possible on a writable domain controller.
    You could view the detail differences between an RODC and a writable domain controller from: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771545(v=ws.10).aspx
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:34 AM
  • Thanks all for the reply!

I created an local account on the RODC server and still failed.  Looks like there is no other way to go around it.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 5:10 PM
  • Hi,
    Yes, I agree with you, and I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
    And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:06 AM