Group Policy to control cleartype / fontsmoothing in Windows Server 2008 Terminal Server environment? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm developing a Server 2008 based TS farm for a client.  Warnings about increased bandwith requirements noted, my client has asked if I can enable font smoothing in their new TS farm, with the option to disable in future without needing to revisit configuration of the clients.  Majority of clients are WinCE thin client devices, with font smoothing option enabled in their default connection, so the obvious place to look seemed to be for a group policy that enables/disables the feature.

This lovely whitepaper http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/d/9/4d9ae285-3431-4335-a86e-969e7a146d1b/RDP_Performance_WhitePaper.docx states that "For Windows Server 2008, there is no Group Policy setting to disable font smoothing".

I was a little shocked and hoped that a bit of searching around would prove that statement false, but I haven't been able to find anything yet.  Surely there must be a way to centrally manage this feature (particularly in light of its implications on bandwith) rather than having to turn it on/off at the client?

Any helpful comments appreciated.

Regards,
    Nathan

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:01 AM

Answers

• I posted a similar question in the Partner-only forums, and had response from an MVP who pointed out that Server 2008 R2 seems to have a GPO for controlling this.  I'll be testing this myself as soon as I can get my hands on a copy of R2, and will also be investigating to see if the GPO is backwards compatible.  Just thought I'd post an update here, as it took me a long time hunting before I found anything close to a helpful answer on this.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 12:24 AM

All replies

• After checking the issue, it seems this is a general Windows Server related issue. As this forum focuses on Windows Vista specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows Server forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, May 25, 2009 3:47 AM
  • Thanks Sean, I'll re-post the query in the Windows Server Forum.  I had originally posted in the Terminal Services Forum, but for some reason the post was moved here.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:04 AM
  • I posted a similar question in the Partner-only forums, and had response from an MVP who pointed out that Server 2008 R2 seems to have a GPO for controlling this.  I'll be testing this myself as soon as I can get my hands on a copy of R2, and will also be investigating to see if the GPO is backwards compatible.  Just thought I'd post an update here, as it took me a long time hunting before I found anything close to a helpful answer on this.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 12:24 AM