How to stop strange "highlighting" behavior when selecting text in Word RRS feed

• Question

• I have a strange situation with one user.  When she selects text in a Word document the standard blue selection highlight shows up in multiple colors.  This really wouldn't be a problem, except that sometimes the selection highlight on an area of text (usually the first line of text, but not always) is so faint that you really can't tell that the text has been selected.  I've logged in as new user on the computer and experienced the same issues.  The issue also shows up in Outlook.  We have several other users on identically imaged computers that do not have this issue.

• I've tried using the Repair Office option. 
    • I've completely uninstalled Office, rebooted the computer and reinstalled Office. 
    • I've even tried renaming the HKEY Current User>Software>Microsoft>Office>12.0>Word>Data to DataOld and restarting Office. 

But nothing seems to make a difference.  If necessary, I could reimage the computer, but since this was recently done to correct a critical issue the user was having, it would be best if a less drastic solution could be found.

Dell Latitude 6500 laptop
    Office 2007 Enterprise with everything except InfoPath and Groove installed

Monday, September 13, 2010 9:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Check the issue by starting Word using the default settings.

Start Word 2007 using default settings

================

You can use the /a switch to start Word 2007 by using only the default settings in Word 2007. When you use the /a switch, Word does not load any add-ins. Additionally, Word 2007 does not use your existing Normal.dotm template. Restart Word 2007 by using the /a switch.

1.       Exit Word 2007

2.       Click Start

3.       In the Start Search box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:
    "%programfiles%\microsoft office\office12\winword.exe" /a

If this issue does not occur when starting Word using /a switch, we can try to rename the Word Global Template:

1.       Exit all Office programs.

2.       Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Note: If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, click Start, in the Search box, type command prompt. right click on command prompt and choose run as administrator.

1.       Type the following command, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running, and then press ENTER:

ren %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm OldNormal.dotm

1.       Type exit, and then press ENTER.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, September 24, 2010 4:29 AM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 8:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Check the issue by starting Word using the default settings.

Start Word 2007 using default settings

================

You can use the /a switch to start Word 2007 by using only the default settings in Word 2007. When you use the /a switch, Word does not load any add-ins. Additionally, Word 2007 does not use your existing Normal.dotm template. Restart Word 2007 by using the /a switch.

1.       Exit Word 2007

2.       Click Start

3.       In the Start Search box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:
    "%programfiles%\microsoft office\office12\winword.exe" /a

If this issue does not occur when starting Word using /a switch, we can try to rename the Word Global Template:

1.       Exit all Office programs.

2.       Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Note: If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, click Start, in the Search box, type command prompt. right click on command prompt and choose run as administrator.

1.       Type the following command, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running, and then press ENTER:

ren %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm OldNormal.dotm

1.       Type exit, and then press ENTER.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, September 24, 2010 4:29 AM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 8:05 AM
  • Using /a option didn't fix the problem.

For grins and giggles, I tried the command:  ren %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm OldNormal.dotm

Got an error so I used CD until I got to the directory, found I could not rename, something was holding open winword.  I closed all my open explorer windows.  They were holding open winword.exe to preview documents.  CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to see that winword.exe was gone, Finally renamed the file, opened my word document and started selecting text and I still have the problem.  :\

Now what can I try to solve this problem?

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:01 AM