ATI X1600 Pro AGP 512 Fails Windows Vista Build 5600 RC1 installaton RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have 2 ATI X1600 Pro AGP cards. One is a Diablotek  256MB video memory and the other is the ATI branded AGP 512MB video memory card.

The 256MB card installs Windows Vista with no problems at all but when installing Windows Vista using the ATI 512MB card I get the blue screen of death when I'm in the last phase of the install (Completing Installation)

The error screen occurs and the system shuts down giving me no way to read the error message. I replaced the Motherboard, memory, DVD writer, and hard drive but It still fails the same way. Windows XP runs great on this system.

I sent the card back to the internet retailer for replacement.

I received the replacement card and installation of Windows Vista failed the same way as the other card. I contacted ATI support and they said they couldn't help me.

I hate to return the card again so I was wondering if other people are having the same problem and/or found a solution.

I tried to install Winndows Vista Beta 2 Build 5384 and the screen goes blank at the end of the installation. I only see the cursor blinking. I guess it's dead in the water.

My system:

2.8 GHz P4

2 GB DDR memory (400MHZ)

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G MB

Western Digital IDE 200GB hard drive

X1600 Pro AGP 512MB Mem

Any help would be appreciated

Thursday, September 21, 2006 9:04 PM

All replies

• After first reboot inside installation screen press "SHIFT" + "F10" you get a console screen, now run C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc this command open Device Manager, now click in your VGA Card and disable the primary and secondary VGA Card. After installation finish inside the Windows Vista open your Device Manager and enable your VGA Card, don't reboot, before install ATI Driver for your Windows Vista version. Reboot now. Now your VGA Card will be working.

Friday, September 22, 2006 2:43 PM
  • Using your method allowed me to complete Windows Vista installation but the system still won't boot to the desktop normally. I can boot in safe mode now but the device driver for the ATI X1600 Pro still causes the system to dump. There is no updated driver for Vista to correct the problem. Thank you for the suggestion.
    Tuesday, October 3, 2006 2:39 AM