none
Using SCTsettings.adm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In an OU, I have existing computer and user GPOs. I tried to further lock down the user settings with another GPO using SCTsettings.adm template.
    Some settings did not apply, and when I did GP results, there's some problems. 
    "Display names for some settings cannot be found. You might be able to resolve this issue by updating the .ADM files used by Group Policy Management

Settings: Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page
    State: HTTP://

So on...
    "

I have already copied the SCTsettings.adm file to inf folder of the one of the domain controllers. Am I updating the adm files wrongly? This SCTsettings.adm or Windows steady state needs to be installed in the computer in order to work properly?

Hope to hear fr u guys soon.... Tks.
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Msnanas, I suggest you first take a look at the following paragraph in Windows SteadyState handbook:

To use Active Directory Users and Computers to manage Windows SteadyState restrictions

1.    Start Active Directory Users and Computers on a computer running Microsoft Windows Serverä 2003 by clicking Start, and then clicking All Programs.

2.    Click Administrative Tools. In Active Directory Users and Computers, right-click the organizational unit (OU) for which you want to configure policy, and then click Properties.

3.    On the Group Policy tab, select the policy you want to modify, and then click Edit.

4.    Expand User Configuration, right-click the Administrative Templates folder, and then click Add/Remove Templates.

5.    In the Add/Remove Templates dialog box, click Add and then browse to the location of the SCTSettings.adm template, commonly located in C:\Program Files\Windows SteadyState\ADM.

6.    Browse the settings in the All Windows SteadyState Restrictions folder and note their similarity to the program and user restrictions settings in Windows SteadyState. Descriptions are given for each setting.

7.    Make any restrictions changes that you want and then exit Group Policy Editor.

Note: We recommend that you create an OU that stores the shared user accounts in your environment, and that you apply the SCTSettings.adm template to the User Configuration portion of a Group Policy Object linked to this dedicated OU.

Friday, September 19, 2008 5:18 AM