Dell EqualLogic Storage Management Pack Suite 5.0 - Dell EqualLogic Helper 5.0 may not be installed or needs to be updated RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am currently trying to install the Dell EqualLogic Storage Management Pack Suite 5.0 on a OpsMgr 2012 SP1 environment.
    The EqualLogic is a supported version and has the required firmware installed. SNMP is enabeled and a community string is correctly configured. The device is discovered and monitored. (network device)

After installing the software on the management server and loading the management packs the EqualLogic is not discovered. This is almost certain because the Dell EqualLogic Helper is not properly installed. I have also run the installer as admin. There is an alert that states this problem:

The installation on the helper should occur when the exe file is run but this does not seems to be the case.

I am considering opening a support call with Dell, but this would probably take ages.
    Hopefully anyone here has some experience with this MP already.

Thanks in advance,

Marthijn.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I opened a support case with Dell on this as this thread remains unanswered. I will update this thread as soon as I have more info.

Marthijn.

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, June 7, 2013 3:48 AM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 12:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I opened a support case with Dell on this as this thread remains unanswered. I will update this thread as soon as I have more info.

Marthijn.

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, June 7, 2013 3:48 AM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 12:13 PM
  • Still working on this issue with Dell.
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 11:00 AM
  • To get it to work I had to add the EQL group name as a discovery seed and remove the node discovered for the member array. 

Owen

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 4:36 AM
  • Owen,

I've been trying to get this to work as well.  Can you explain what you mean by a "discovery seed"?  Where do you add that group name? 

• Edited by Delf Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:09 PM
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:59 PM
  • Delf,

Under Administration/Network Management/Discovery Rules open the discovery rule that you have defined.  Go to the devices section and add the resolvable name (Netbios or FQDN) of your EQL group name. 

Set the SNMP version to be V1 or V2, port to be 161, and access mode to be ICMP and SNMP.

Save the settings.

Make sure that on the EQL you add the community string that you are using for SNMP discovery in SCOM (by default our EQL only had "local" as the community string).

That should do it.

Owen

• Edited by Owen C Friday, June 21, 2013 1:20 AM double signature
    • Proposed as answer by Owen C Friday, June 21, 2013 1:21 AM
    Friday, June 21, 2013 1:19 AM
  • I know this is old but I wanted to reply with an answer to the Equallogic Helper issue.  This is looking for the DCOM Equallogic Helper Object.  Open DCOMCNFG, expand Component Services\Computers\My Computer and click on COM+ Applications.  Look for the Dell EqualLogic Helper.  If it isn't there, run a repair on the EQL MP.  Once the Helper is there, right click on it and start it.  If necessary, you can change it from running as a local service to a specific user account.

This issue normally happens when you install the EQL MP and try to use it without performing a restart after the install.  Just manually start the Helper object.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 9:55 PM