none
HIS 2010 SNA print to file does not include extension RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I just installed two HIS 2010 as a replacement for my old HIS 2006's. One of them contains printers. I transferred the config from the old one to the new using snacfg.exe.

"Normal" printers work fine on the new one, but print to file does not. Even though I set it to use a unique file name extension per file to put the next file along side the previous one, it persists in overwriting it.

There is a reference to something like this in "Installation Guide.htm":

Registry Value persists after uninstalling Host Integration Server

If your SNA print sessions are configured to use a unique file extension when printing to a file, the resulting registry key used to track the filename will be left behind on uninstall. The registry key will match the name of the SNA Print session.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SNA Print Server\Sessions\SessionName]

It does not cover my issue, but I've looked for the registry key, and it does not exist. All I've got under "SNA Print Server" is "Providers".

Does this have any bearing on what I'm experiencing, or does anyone have a tip?

Kind regards

Kjetil Thorstensen 

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:40 PM

Answers

• Hi, Stephen.

Thanks for your tip - it made me dive deeper. I had already checked file system rights  - they were modify - but I hadn't checked registry rights. The serviceuser was for some obscure reason not a member of HIS administrators, and could therefore not write to the reg key.

That fixed it - I appreciate you taking the time.

Share and enjoy

/Kjetil

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:18 AM

All replies

• Can you verify that the user account that the SnaPrint service is running under has permissions to create files and write to the folder that you configured the print session to print to?

I know that you indicated that one file is already there and it tries to overwrite the same file, but just make sure that the permissions are correct.

I set this up on a HIS 2010 Server and I am able to print and have the file extensions incremented as expected.

After setting up to print to file and printing some jobs, I see that the FileExtension registry key is created and it shows the next file extension value to be used.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Monday, December 2, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Hi, Stephen.

Thanks for your tip - it made me dive deeper. I had already checked file system rights  - they were modify - but I hadn't checked registry rights. The serviceuser was for some obscure reason not a member of HIS administrators, and could therefore not write to the reg key.

That fixed it - I appreciate you taking the time.

Share and enjoy

/Kjetil

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:18 AM
  • The HIS service account is not added to the HIS Administrators group by default. It normally isn't recommended or needed. The problem that you ran into with the "unique filename extension" is actually a bug. I've logged it as a bug so it can be addressed in the next version. The workaround that you used would be the solution at this point.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:30 PM