none
Turn Windows features on or off using group policy

Question

• Guys, is there any way we can turn windows features on or off using group policy? I know how to do it using PowerShell but wondering if this can be achieved using group policy?

Thanks,

-AKS-

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

This might be the answer you're looking for:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/turn-windows-features-on-or-off-is-disabled/efff7b24-7a64-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Hope this helps, Good luck!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 12:26 PM
  • Hi,

Did you want to prevent user from accessing the Turn Windows feature on or off from Control Panel?

If yes, enable this group policy:

User Configuration\Administrative Template\Control Panel\Programs\Hide "Windows Features"

If you mean you want to enable or disable one specific feature by the group policy.

For some - yes, see Administrative Templates - Windows Components. For most, unfortunately no.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:57 AM
  • Hi Kapil, Thanks for your reply.. No, this is not the something I am looking for..

I just want to uninstall/disable some windows features from windows feature on/off option (dont want to disable add/remove feature option from windows). 

Thanks,

Amit

-AKS-

• Edited by -AKS- Friday, March 31, 2017 8:47 AM
    Friday, March 31, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Hello,

Did you want to prevent user from accessing the Turn Windows feature on or off from Control Panel? (NO)

I just want to uninstall/disable some windows features from windows feature on/off option (dont want to disable add/remove feature option from windows). 

Please refer the attached screenshot. I want to Disable/Uninstall or Enable/Install the red highlighted feature from windows.

Thanks,

Amit

-AKS-

• Edited by -AKS- Friday, March 31, 2017 8:47 AM
    Friday, March 31, 2017 8:45 AM
  • Hi Amit,

There is no group policy method to disable it.

You could use the PowerShell script to do it:

Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName smb1protocol

For more detailed information, please read this article:

Stop using SMB1

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/09/16/stop-using-smb1/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by -AKS- Monday, April 3, 2017 3:08 PM
    Monday, April 3, 2017 9:07 AM
  • Hello Karen, Thanks for your reply..

As said in the beginning of my question, I know how to do it using using PowerShell.. :) But was wondering if it can be done using group policy..

Anyways, thanks for your answer.

-AKS-

Monday, April 3, 2017 3:08 PM
  • Did you manage to get it done? I'm also looking for a solution.

ee

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 1:27 AM