Certain keys only work with Shift RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a new keyboard a bit ago and in testing it, I noticed that the Numpad "+", "-", & "/" keys only work when I press the Shift key. I swapped out the KB with the old one with the same result. It works properly in Safe Mode with the new KB and the old. I have checked my KB options and have Sticky Keys and Filter Keys off. Having NUM LOCK, CAPS LOCK, and/or SCROLL LOCK on or off has no effect. I was using EVGA Precision OC, but after reading a somewhat similar post on another board I uninstalled it, to no avail. I'm not sure how long the problem has been occurring, just that I noticed it after installing the new KB back in January. I'm running Windows 10 Pro, but maintained my Windows 7 installation on a separate hard drive. The KB functions properly in Windows 7, so it appears to be a software problem in Windows 10. Just today, I noticed that my "/" is functioning again, however, the "*" now requires the Shift key. I believe this happened once before, but when I went back to check, it was behaving as first listed. I haven't done anything recently of which I can think that could have caused the change in which keys are functioning improperly, i.e. driver updates. Incidentally, the KB uses standard Windows drivers. No model specific drivers exist. Any ideas would be appreciated as I am at a complete loss on this. If any further info is needed, I'll provide what I am able. Thanks in advance.

Sunday, May 21, 2017 12:12 AM

Answers

• As safeboot works ok then have a look at clean boot

Thinking it looks like a software issues do a clean boot if it works ok in that see the sections 'How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot' about disabling half the services then halving again to work out which one it is.

Sunday, May 21, 2017 12:37 PM

All replies

• As safeboot works ok then have a look at clean boot

Thinking it looks like a software issues do a clean boot if it works ok in that see the sections 'How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot' about disabling half the services then halving again to work out which one it is.

Sunday, May 21, 2017 12:37 PM
  • Thanks for the help. After doing the clean boot and testing the startup items, it turned out to be the "NVIDIA Capture Server Proxy" (under the Task Manager/Startup tab) that was causing the problem. Thankfully, it was an unnecessary process, so, if anyone else has this problem, that's a good item to check first. (+-*/ Typed from the numpad.)

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:03 PM
  • Thanks for the update and providing the solution in your case, as you said may help others.
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:09 PM
  • UPDATE: I have recently had the problem reoccur, and the "NVIDIA Capture Server Proxy" was no longer showing under the Task Manager/Startup tab, so I uninstalled the GEForce Experience Software from NVIDIA and that remedied the situation this time. Once again, I hope this helps others who might come across this problem.
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 7:59 AM
  • Got an GS60 2QE GHOST PRO from corporate work.  The m key only worked pressing Shift after an (apparently) Windows update a couple of days ago.  Uninstalling <<NVIDIA Experience Software>> as you recommended solved my problems.  Thank you.  Recommended.
    Monday, May 18, 2020 10:39 PM