Sensitivity "Private" marked emails are not shown in Outlook 2016, when sent to shared mailboxes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone

I got the issue, as it already says in the title, that emails, being marked as private in the sensitivity options, which are sent to shared mailboxes are not shown in Outlook 2016. Eventhough you can see, next to the inbox, that there is a unread email.
    When checking the mails over webmail (using office 365), they are being shown. Were are using Office 365 for all our customers using the E1, E5, Exchange Online Plan and Kiosk licenses.

I found a workaround for the mailboxes, being licensed because I can add them as an Microsoft Exchange Account and configure the delegation of the private mails, by ticking the "Delegate can see my private items" option, in the delegation access.. Unfortunately this doesn't work though with shared mailboxes. There maybe the option, to change the shared mailbox to a licensed one, make the configuration and change it back to a shared mailbox. I haven't tried this though, since the effort of doing this for lots of shared mailboxes and hundreds of users would be to great and in addition is not a proper solution for the issue on my point of view.

So I would be really grateful if there was some kind of Powershell solution for the issue.

Furthermore I must say, have already searched for this problem in different forums and contacted microsoft office 365 services, without any success till now. There was some kind of a solution with Visual Studio in a forum, if I am right. Using Visual Studio with C# is no option though.

Regards,

Robi

Thursday, August 24, 2017 9:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Robi,

Based on my research, it’s true that we cannot see the private items in shared mailboxes in the Outlook client even if the full access permission is granted. 

>> So I would be really grateful if there was some kind of Powershell solution for the issue.

For Powershell solution request, it is encouraged to post a request at script request page

Hope you can find the above information helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 25, 2017 8:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Robi,

Based on my research, it’s true that we cannot see the private items in shared mailboxes in the Outlook client even if the full access permission is granted. 

>> So I would be really grateful if there was some kind of Powershell solution for the issue.

For Powershell solution request, it is encouraged to post a request at script request page

Hope you can find the above information helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 25, 2017 8:06 AM
  • Hi Yuki Sun

Thank you very much for the response. I will gladly have a look at the scripts and post it here, if I find a solution.

Best regards,

Robi

Friday, August 25, 2017 12:58 PM