none
Recurring task links Project Pro 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, I have 36 2 hour status meetings set to occur weekly on Tuesday.  When I created them project inserted them in one big group.  Should I leave them in place and link them to each other? or move them to the appropriate point in time on the schedule and link them there?

Or is there a better way to do this? I have to insert weekly Status meetings and weekly schedule updates to an existing schedule.

thanks for any help

Friday, October 18, 2013 6:29 PM

Answers

• A few suggestions regarding recurring tasks: (1) Keep the entire group of recurring tasks together. (2) Place the group of recurring tasks at beginning or end of the task list; (3) do not link the recurring tasks to each other, and (4) do not link the recurring tasks to any other tasks in your network.

• Edited by Edward Hanna Friday, October 18, 2013 7:42 PM Remove signature line
    • Marked as answer by rixmcx59 Friday, October 18, 2013 8:17 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 7:42 PM
  • rixmcx59 --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend.  Since you used a Recurring Task for your meetings, make sure each of the meeting occurrences is set to Auto Scheduled.  And no, you do not need to link them.  When Microsoft Project creates a Recurring Task, it places a constraint on each occurrence to force it to start on the desired date.  Hope this helps. 

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, October 18, 2013 7:47 PM

All replies

• rixmcx59 --

Did you create these meetings using a Recurring Task, or did you create 36 separate meetings as individual tasks.  If you used the Recurring Task feature, I would leave them all together. If you created them individually, you can feel free to drag and drop them to appropriate places in the project and then link them with other tasks.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, October 18, 2013 6:43 PM
  • Thanks dale, yes I used the Recurring task method, so should I auto schedule them and link them FS?
    Friday, October 18, 2013 6:59 PM
  • Hi,

As Dale said, if you use the insert>recurring tasks, you will have to select

• the date of the first meeting
    • the duration of the meeting
    • the number to meetings (or the end date)
    • the frequency

It will definitively be simpler than creating your 36 meetings individually.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Friday, October 18, 2013 7:01 PM
  • I think you do not have to link the recurring tasks, since they are all constrained by the parameters you specified. I'd let the recurring tasks auto-scheduled.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Friday, October 18, 2013 7:04 PM
  • A few suggestions regarding recurring tasks: (1) Keep the entire group of recurring tasks together. (2) Place the group of recurring tasks at beginning or end of the task list; (3) do not link the recurring tasks to each other, and (4) do not link the recurring tasks to any other tasks in your network.

• Edited by Edward Hanna Friday, October 18, 2013 7:42 PM Remove signature line
    Friday, October 18, 2013 7:42 PM
  • rixmcx59 --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend.  Since you used a Recurring Task for your meetings, make sure each of the meeting occurrences is set to Auto Scheduled.  And no, you do not need to link them.  When Microsoft Project creates a Recurring Task, it places a constraint on each occurrence to force it to start on the desired date.  Hope this helps. 

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, October 18, 2013 7:47 PM
  • Thank you Edward and thank you Dale for giving me the exact answer I was looking for.

your knowledge is very much appreciated

Rick

Friday, October 18, 2013 8:17 PM