Can you use Remote Desktop to connect to the same computer you are on, in Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• I am in an IT class, and the instructer failed the entire class on a project asking us to open a Remote Desktop connection the the same computer we are using, with Windows XP servpack 3
    • Moved by Paul E Long Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:06 PM (From:Network Monitor)
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:34 AM

All replies

• To use Remote Desktop, you need the following:
    • A remote computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP Professional and is connected to the Internet or on a local area network (LAN).
    • A local computer running Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition, Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, or Microsoft Windows 95, with access to the Internet or the LAN.
    • Appropriate user accounts and permissions configured on the remote Windows XP Professional to allow remote access.

Ref: How to use the Remote Desktop feature of Windows XP Professional

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:01 PM
  • You cannot connect to the same computer you're connecting from. Windows XP will tell you that "The client could not connect. You are already connected to the console of this computer. A new console session cannot be established.".

Not sure why your instructor would ask you this, or why he would fail the whole class.

Please vote my post as helpful if you think it was, and mark it as
    an answer if it answered
    your question. That will help others
    with the same problem finding the answer. - Thanks.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:23 PM