Windows XP - no icons, no taskbar, cannot right click RRS feed

• Question

• Hello TechNet Support -

Wasn't able to view all forums, am hoping this question will appear in the correct one.

Helping a friend with his Dell desktop - Windows XP SP3. When we try to start up, the desktop background picture appears, but that's it. No desktop icons, no taskbar, cannot right click, nothing.

When I open Task Manager via Ctrl-Alt-Del, I can click the New Task button and run a few programs. IE, Outlook Express, and others. We cannot get to File Manager or any file window that would access his data. Control.exe does not open. [NOTE: sorry, I said Control.exe but meant Explorer.exe]

I opened a command prompt window and ran chkdsk without /F, it listed a number of index errors. when I ran with /F and said yes to run at next boot Chkdsk did run, but no results, no changes were made, even with /F.

All help appreciated,
    John

John Murray

Friday, February 28, 2014 4:58 PM

Answers

• GambitMaster -

Thanks again for your help; I did find and run explorer.exe but it did not actually load. I went to Windows Updates using IE and ran all the pending updates, and that seemed to do the trick. The computer is now back to normal, with icons, a task bar, right-clicking, and all.

Thanks,
    John

John Murray

Friday, March 7, 2014 2:03 AM

All replies

• Ugh.  I had this exact problem many years ago three separate times.  I fixed it by going into the control panel...have you just typed in "control" or "explorer" to see if that works?  Unfortunately I cannot recall for the life of me what I did after that...I can try to see if I can find something on it later on today but I was able to find my solution online so it should be out there somewhere.  There shouldn't be any reason to wipe the system, but the third time it happened to me was when I moved up to the next OS.  Just sayin'

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Friday, February 28, 2014 6:39 PM
  • If you do not have any icons, or start menu on your desktop screen, then windows explorer is not running. And somehow it`s being prevented from running on startup.

If you can run a program in task manager, then run explorer.exe, that should bring everything back up on your desktop screen.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 6:36 PM
  • Thanks GambitMaster -

I'll be working on the machine in question later today and will try to run explorer.exe.

John

John Murray

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 4:17 PM
  • GambitMaster -

Thanks again for your help; I did find and run explorer.exe but it did not actually load. I went to Windows Updates using IE and ran all the pending updates, and that seemed to do the trick. The computer is now back to normal, with icons, a task bar, right-clicking, and all.

Thanks,
    John

John Murray

Friday, March 7, 2014 2:03 AM