none
POSREADY 7 - Create image after OEM deployment? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

We are the IT Provider for Client of ours who wish to purchase new POS Terminal hardware, We the desired unit from the Manufactuer and it has come with Windows Embedded POSReady 7 pre installed from the OEM with a COA sticker attached.

As we support and manage their POS application and IT environment we will need to install and setup the POS application and other enviroment specfic software on each, what are my options for customizing and capturing this to an image for redeploying over multiple devices?

I have been using this methood for deploying Windows 7 Pro Desktop machines: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh300719(v=winembedded.21).aspx and hoped to apply for their pos deployment, but it looks like this is only for OEMs with a CD key?

I did some reading here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/posready/thread/faa07cbc-d75d-4fdb-a9ef-a3e4bdd55190 and looks like Sysprep could be the answer?

Can i SYSPREP the preinstalled OS and then capture with image X off my PE CD, then repdeploy across identical hardware without having to reactivate windows?

I was worried about loosing drivers as well but looks like i can stop that by running sysprep /unattened:x:\unattend.xml with PersistAllDeviceInstalls setting of the Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep component to True

Regards

James

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:04 AM

All replies

• You still need the license key for the sysprep unattended file. Otherwise, it will ask for it during OOBE.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:58 PM
  • ok dam, thats dissapointing.

Is there no other way i can capture an image for deployment across identical hardware?

What happens if we need to reinstall windows for some reason in the future?

• Edited by James_NZ Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:07 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:28 PM
  • You should be able to extract the key from the image. there are some tools out there that can do this. You might want to contact the manufacturer and ask them for back up media. They may also have some deployment solutions.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by James_NZ Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by James_NZ Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:43 AM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:06 PM
  • yes i thought about extracting key, have got the recovery image from the Manufacturer today.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:44 AM
  • Sysprep for Win7 does not require a product key like the XP version.  You should be able to sysprep, capture and redeploy. I would recommend capturing the image before any modifications are made so that you can get back to the original image if needed.

Terry Warwick, Microsoft

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:12 AM
  • In WES7, it is needed, or OOBE will ask for it. Is it not the same for POSReady?

-Sean

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:51 AM
  • thanks for your reply mark, that is encouraging :) I await your confirmation RE: Sean's last comment.

I will have a recovery image from the OEM shortly so I should be able to get back to outofthebox state with that.

• Edited by James_NZ Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:12 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:47 AM
  • Activation works a little different between WES7 and POSReady 7.  POSReady 7 is more closely tied to the way Windows handles this.  Once an image is activated it can be sysprepped, it retains that activation state and does not ask for a product key during OOBE.  This allows an enterprise to add required software to a master image and re-deploy to identical systems for which they have a valid license.  This does NOT provide a legal means in which to deploy the platform to other devices.

What you cannot do is install a fresh image to replace an OEM preinstalled image unless you have a Volume License agreement on POSReady 7.  Only the OEM or an Enterprise with a Volume License agreement can obtain a perpetual product key (ie non-Eval).

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Friday, October 12, 2012 1:56 PM
  • James, it is a simple test.  Capture your recovery image then do the following....

1. Run Sysprep in Audit Mode

2. Make the changes you want including deleting user accounts if necessary

3. Run Sysprep to Generalize the image and shut down

4. For this test there is no need to capture your image, but this is optional

5. Boot into the modified image and proceed through OOBE (It should not ask for a product key). You can also automate OOBE using an unattend. 

Please see the POSReady 7 documentation for additional information.  You will likely be most interested in the section titled "POSReady 7 Deployment for IT Professionals"

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh300724(v=winembedded.21).aspx

Since your platform was preinstalled by the OEM, you will skip the items on installation in the section named "Build a reference installation." and proceed to customize, generalize and capture of the image.

Don't forget to review the Technical Reference which provides detailed information about how you can modify the preinstalled image to satisfy your PCI-DSS obligations.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Friday, October 12, 2012 2:09 PM
  • thanks for the explanation. This is exactly what i ended up doing last week, I just decided to take the plunge due to time constraints and it has worked just fine :)

Yea i have been reading that document thanks.

thanks for your help.

the only issue i have now is with setting the password on the builtin administrator account.

With windows 7 pro desktop deployments I set the administrator password in the answer file, create a dummy local account, then use setupcomplete.cmd in c:\windows\setup\scripts to enable to administrator account and delete the dummy account created in the answer file. this worked fine.

As i am deploying WEPR7 with imagex and just dumping the wim on the D: drive for some reason it wont set the password, i have tried setting it in the setupcompleate.cmd file and in a unattend.xml in the C:\windows\panther\unattend directory using same syntax from answer file I use for desktop machines.

Everything else in the answer file works ok, but i cant login with the local administratoru account, just things password is wrong. I did some trouble shooting and the account is enabled, after logging in with a dummy local admin account i tried running the setupcomplete.cmd script with the net user administrator PASSWORD /active:yes line manually and that doesnt set the password either. (p.s I am running script elevated)

Monday, October 15, 2012 11:32 PM
  • James,

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that the Administrator account is actually disabled and only appears when running Sysprep in Audit mode. You may want to use audit mode yourself to setup the local accounts that you want, then generating and recapture the WIM.

Terry Warwick
     Microsoft

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:58 AM