vpn on windows lumia 635, trying to use private internet access(pia) as my vpn, but have major dns leakage. RRS feed

• Question

• <p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;">Someone suggested i move over from windows phone and windows 10 preview categories to technet for my question regarding proper installation of vpn on lumia 635(i am on the w10 insider preview, not w8.1; sequental steps seem to be missing after entering vpn type and logging in w/password and user name on the insider w10 preview.):</p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;">these are the instructions pia provided, which i've done multiple times. i can connect to any of their servers, but always get 100% leakage back to my isp.</p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;">i have no indication of a secure vpn connection, not ever. i am on their servers though, just not secure.</p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;">NOTE: i am using the windows 10 insider preview.</p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;">pia gives me instuctions based on W8.1, not the 10 preview. the preview seems to be missing all the sequential steps after selecting&nbsp;<span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">&nbsp;L2TP with IPSec. for instance there is no&nbsp;</span><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">"Username+Password+preshared key" option.&nbsp;</span></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">here are the steps from pia(the phone is giving no obvious option to edit the dns server either):</span></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">To setup our VPN on a Windows 8.1 Phone,&nbsp;</span><br style="box-sizing:border-box;" /><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">1. In the App List, Tap Settings, then VPN</span><br style="box-sizing:border-box;" /><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">2. Set Status to On, then tap Add</span><br style="box-sizing:border-box;" /><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">3. In the server name, enter the region you want to connect to from this list&nbsp;</span><a href="https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/network/" rel="noreferrer" style="color:#68217a;box-sizing:border-box;text-decoration:none;border:none;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;cursor:pointer;background-color:transparent;" target="_blank">https://www.</a></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">4. In the "Type" menu, set L2TP with IPSec</span><br style="box-sizing:border-box;" /><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">5. From the "Connect Using" box, choose "Username+Password+preshared key"</span><br style="box-sizing:border-box;" /><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">6. Enter the Username starting with X into the Username field</span><br style="box-sizing:border-box;" /><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">7. Enter the Generated password into the password field</span><br style="box-sizing:border-box;" /><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">8. Enter "mysafety" without the quotes into the Preshared Key field.&nbsp;</span><br style="box-sizing:border-box;" /><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">9. Tap Save to save the settings.&nbsp;</span><br style="box-sizing:border-box;" /><br style="box-sizing:border-box;" /><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">To connect to the VPN, Tap on the profile name.&nbsp;</span><br style="box-sizing:border-box;" /><br style="box-sizing:border-box;" /><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">If this is the guide you've already used and it still doesn't work, you can try setting our DNS servers in your phone settings. Our DNS servers are 209.---.222 and 209.---.218</span></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">i thought i would have W10 by now, but maybe that would not have saved the day either. snc</span></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">followup on aug. 28:</span></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;">it appears that some of the steps after after selecting "type" in step 4 above are missing from the the w10 insider preview. Mainly, there is no option for a preshared key, so i am dead-ended there. i do have a password and username, which i do enter.</p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;">without the step:&nbsp;<span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">"Username+Password+preshared key", the pia vpn will not install properly so that i have a secure connection to their servers. i always end up w/dns leakage. the preview is MISSING STEPS.</span></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">Private internet access'(pia) above instructions are for a windows phone that still has w8.1. PIA does not have the knowledge base to install a vpn w/w10 insider preview(if there is even a way to do it w/the preview???)</span></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">apparently windows has forgotten to do an update for a vpn installation for my windows phone. how can windows miss something so basic as this in their preview? especially with w10 already released to other devices?</span></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">my windows lumia phone w10 insider preview has several glaring peculiarities.</span></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"></p><p style="margin-bottom:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;min-height:19px;color:#333333;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"><span style="box-sizing:border-box;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:top;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;">does anyone have a solution for the vpn installation missing steps? sc</span></p>
    Saturday, August 29, 2015 2:35 PM