none
Look at a baseline RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a scenario and saved a baseline. Later on I create another scenario with the same tasks but with other times and resources. I save this scenario in another baseline. Is it possible to look at these scenarios later on? How do I do? I use project 2003 to simulate different scenarios and want to see how they affect the calende time, but I want to be able to switch between them. I know I can create each scenario in different Project 2003 files, but it would be better if they can be saved in the same file.
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 9:31 AM

Answers

• Regel1972 --

Before I demonstrate how to address your situation, keep the following baseline facts in mind:
    • Microsoft Project 2003 calculates all variance for work, cost, and schedule using the data in the Baseline set of fields, and not from the Baseline 1 through Baseline 10 sets of fields.
    • In the Tracking Gantt view, Microsoft Project 2003 displays gray Gantt bars using the schedule data in the Baseline set of fields, and not from the Baseline 1 through Baseline 10 sets of fields.
    Basedon the above, here's one way to handle your situation:

1.  Create your original project.
    2.  Click Tools > Tracking > Save Baseline.
    3.  Select the Baseline option at the top of the dialog and then click the OK button.
    4.  Click Tools > Tracking > Save Baseline.
    5.  Select the Baseline 1 option at the top of the dialog and then click the OK button.

Saving the baseline a second time in the Baseline 1 set of fields "backs up" the baseline for the 1st scenario.  At this point, the data in the Baseline set of fields is identical to the data stored in the Baseline 1 set of fields.

6.  Create your second task/resource scenario in your project.
    7.  Click Tools > Tracking > Save Baseline.
    8.  Select the Baseline option at the top of the dialog and then click the OK button.
    9.  When prompted in the warning dialog, click the Yes button to overwrite the original baseline.
    10.  Click Tools > Tracking > Save Baseline.
    11.  Select the Baseline 2 option at the top of the dialog and then click the OK button.

Saving the baseline a second time in the Baseline 2 set of fields "backs up" the baseline for the 2nd scenario.  At this point, the data in the Baseline set of fields is identical to the data stored in the Baseline 2 set of fields, while the information stored in the Baseline 1 set of fields contains the baseline data for the 1st scenario.  If you create a 3rd scenario, save the baseline twice: the first time in the Baseline set of fields and the second time in the Baseline 3 set of fields.  If you create a 4th scenario, save the baseline twice:  the first time in the Baseline set of fields and the second time in the Baseline 4 set of fields.  Get the drift so far?

Suppose that you have created four different scenarios using the steps detailed above.  This means that the information in the Baseline and Baseline 4 sets of fields are now identical.  So how do you revert the variance calculations and the Tracking Gantt view back to the baseline for the 1st scenario?  Here�??s how:

1.  Click Tools > Tracking > Save Baseline.
    2.  In the Save Baseline dialog, select the Save Interim Plan option.
    3.  Click the Copy pick list and select the Baseline 1 item (remember that it contains the baseline for your 1st scenario).
    4.  Click the Into pick list and select the Baseline item.
    5.  Click the OK button.
    6.  When prompted in a warning dialog, click the Yes button to overwrite the baseline.

To revert back to the baseline for any one of your scenarios, repeat the preceding set of six steps, but change the baseline you select in step #3.  For example, to revert to the baseline for the 3rd scenario, select the Baseline 3 item in step #3.  So, based on what I have written above, you can see that what you want to do can be done, but it takes a bit of labor to make it happen.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:36 PM

All replies

• I m not sure of 2003, but doesn't adding Baseline Duration/ Start/Finish Columns for 2 Baselines (say Baseline and Baseline1) helps ?

As for the resources, Baseline doesn't stores the resource values.

Sapna S
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Thanks. It did helped me.
    Is it possible to revert to an old Baseline and start doing new simulations? How do i do if that is possible?

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:20 AM
  • You can overwrite a desired baseline if you want the new changes to be added to it, but remember once overwritten old changes will be gone. MS Project has 11 Baselines and option of 10 Interim plans wherein Start/finish Dates could be saved.

If you are using Baseline for any calculations you can always change the desired baseline to be part of it, by default Baseline is used for all calcuations.

Sapna S
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Regel1972 --

Before I demonstrate how to address your situation, keep the following baseline facts in mind:
    • Microsoft Project 2003 calculates all variance for work, cost, and schedule using the data in the Baseline set of fields, and not from the Baseline 1 through Baseline 10 sets of fields.
    • In the Tracking Gantt view, Microsoft Project 2003 displays gray Gantt bars using the schedule data in the Baseline set of fields, and not from the Baseline 1 through Baseline 10 sets of fields.
    Basedon the above, here's one way to handle your situation:

1.  Create your original project.
    2.  Click Tools > Tracking > Save Baseline.
    3.  Select the Baseline option at the top of the dialog and then click the OK button.
    4.  Click Tools > Tracking > Save Baseline.
    5.  Select the Baseline 1 option at the top of the dialog and then click the OK button.

Saving the baseline a second time in the Baseline 1 set of fields "backs up" the baseline for the 1st scenario.  At this point, the data in the Baseline set of fields is identical to the data stored in the Baseline 1 set of fields.

6.  Create your second task/resource scenario in your project.
    7.  Click Tools > Tracking > Save Baseline.
    8.  Select the Baseline option at the top of the dialog and then click the OK button.
    9.  When prompted in the warning dialog, click the Yes button to overwrite the original baseline.
    10.  Click Tools > Tracking > Save Baseline.
    11.  Select the Baseline 2 option at the top of the dialog and then click the OK button.

Saving the baseline a second time in the Baseline 2 set of fields "backs up" the baseline for the 2nd scenario.  At this point, the data in the Baseline set of fields is identical to the data stored in the Baseline 2 set of fields, while the information stored in the Baseline 1 set of fields contains the baseline data for the 1st scenario.  If you create a 3rd scenario, save the baseline twice: the first time in the Baseline set of fields and the second time in the Baseline 3 set of fields.  If you create a 4th scenario, save the baseline twice:  the first time in the Baseline set of fields and the second time in the Baseline 4 set of fields.  Get the drift so far?

Suppose that you have created four different scenarios using the steps detailed above.  This means that the information in the Baseline and Baseline 4 sets of fields are now identical.  So how do you revert the variance calculations and the Tracking Gantt view back to the baseline for the 1st scenario?  Here�??s how:

1.  Click Tools > Tracking > Save Baseline.
    2.  In the Save Baseline dialog, select the Save Interim Plan option.
    3.  Click the Copy pick list and select the Baseline 1 item (remember that it contains the baseline for your 1st scenario).
    4.  Click the Into pick list and select the Baseline item.
    5.  Click the OK button.
    6.  When prompted in a warning dialog, click the Yes button to overwrite the baseline.

To revert back to the baseline for any one of your scenarios, repeat the preceding set of six steps, but change the baseline you select in step #3.  For example, to revert to the baseline for the 3rd scenario, select the Baseline 3 item in step #3.  So, based on what I have written above, you can see that what you want to do can be done, but it takes a bit of labor to make it happen.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:36 PM