Project 2010 >> Excel Services >> Sample Reports RRS feed

• Question

• I followed the documentation available on TechNet to configure the Excel Services and the Secure Store Service for Project 2010.

Howerver, when I try to open the out of the box reports "Sample Reports" under the Business Intelligence section, I get the below error:

"An error occurred while accessing application id ProjectServerApplication from Secure Store Service. The following connections failed to refresh:

Project Server - Timesheet Data"

Please advise

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• There are numerous reasons for this error at the user interface. Can you dig up the errors in the ULS logs? Do you see errors in the server event logs? These will provide more specific information. I suspect that you did not configure your Secure Store target applicaiton correctly, but can't be sure. Also, you can download a beta version of the installation chapters of my upcoming book here: http://www.msprojectexperts.com/betainstall

These provide much more depth than the Microsoft documents.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 12:55 PM
  • I was able to resolve this issue with the following steps:

Logon as Contoso\Adminsitrator

Start Central Admin -> Click on Manage Service Applications -> Click on Secure Store Service

Hover over ProjectServerApplication and click the dropdown -> Select "Set Permission"  Ensure the "Contoso Administrator" in listed as a Target Application Administrator - > Click OK

Hover over ProjectServerApplication again this time select "Set Credentials"  After the page loads add the Contoso Adminsitrator and password to the Credential Owners. (I left Contoso\Report Viewers there as well)  -> Click OK

I think that may be all that is needed but I added one additional step just because I wanted to see all the settings. I clicked on the ProjctServerApplication link and reviewed all the settings  keep clikicng next and look at all the settings pages.  All looked good.  And it worked.  Although it did continure to warn me about security.  I then shut off the prompt in Excel services because my demo person didn't want to see the prompt during her demo.

Hope this helps.

~Dan Dinucci
    RCM Technologies

App Dev Manager
    Monday, April 12, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Dan:

In the beta demo image, the trusted connections are not configured properly either. I believe that this demo was built earl on, as it doesn't begin to show the power of Excel Services as witnessed by the lack of configuration. Also note the heavy use of SSRS rather than the BI center. I hope the RTM version shows better.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:21 PM