none
Dell EMC Data Domain DD2200 with Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I know this is a strange configuration, A customer has already purchased these hardware and software. My question is whether that works together at all and runs and is supportet? it's about Dell EMC Data Domain DD2200 with Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2016 from Systemcenter. Many thanks for information
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you could use it for "secondary protection" by using the VTL option.
    DPM then then would use the virtual tapes.

DPM cannot store backups on CIFS or NFS shares nativly.

Take care of the drivers for the emulated TL!
    You should test it!

I think Microsoft does not support specific Tape Libraries for DPM.
    You could use the Tape Library Test Tool - but I have not tried using it on Windows 2016.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fb63f2f5-b75c-4a8d-a079-ac499544d946/where-to-download-the-latest-dpm-tape-library-compatibility-tool?forum=dpmtapebackuprecovery

We have tested the DD for DPM 2012R2 and it worked as a VTL.
    But again - I recommend testing it.

regards

/bkpfast

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

Thursday, March 9, 2017 9:44 AM
  • Hi,

If that VTL support configuring it as a StorageTek L180 then you can download the drivers from the Windows update site Here.  Once the drivers are installed DPM should be able to use it for short-term or long-term tape backup.  DPM cannot use for DPM storage pool disk.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 10:42 PM
  • Hi,

additionally:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn554221(v=sc.12).aspx

Short-term backup to tape isn’t supported

Issue: DPM doesn’t support short-term backup (incremental backup) to tape for workload data (Exchange, SQL Server, SharePoint, Hyper-V). Only file data (volumes, shares, folders) can be backed up incrementally.

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

Friday, March 10, 2017 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

Clarification - short term backup is supported for those workloads, but only "full" backup, not "full+incremental".   

NOTE:  Exchange DAG cannot be backed up using Disk to Tape (D2T), it can only be backed up using disk to disk to tape (D2D2T).

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 10, 2017 9:05 PM