Exchange 2003 Databases dismout RRS feed

• Question

• We had a failure last week, one of our disks in our raid array failed and we had to rebuild the array. Everything seemed to come back to life however for some reason when I backup our exchange 2003 server using  backup nt or backup exec it fails and the database dismount. Any one have any ideas? I assume it cant find some transactions files or logs?

Event logs on the exchange server doesn't give much information however backup exec reports this...

Backup- \\wexn06.BountyGroup.local\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage GroupV-79-57344-65146 - An error occurred while accessing Microsoft Exchange Server. Check the application event log on the Exchange Server for more details.

V-79-57344-65146 - An error occurred while accessing Microsoft Exchange Server. Check the application event log on the Exchange Server for more details.

V-79-57344-65146 - An error occurred while accessing Microsoft Exchange Server. Check the application event log on the Exchange Server for more details.

V-79-57344-780 - Error, Exchange failed to return any log files when backing up \\wexn06.BountyGroup.local\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group

Any help would be much appreciated or some way around this..

Regards

Alex.

Friday, December 21, 2012 5:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Sharon Nothing unusual in the event logs, I've run eseutil and it completes successfully without any errors. I've created a new backup exec job to copy and commit the logs and that seems to have worked ok, do I'll try another full backup now. Thanks Alex
    • Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Tuesday, December 25, 2012 1:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sharon.Shen Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:43 AM
    Monday, December 24, 2012 8:52 AM
  • No nt backup didn't fix it, seems as though by doing a copy and a committing the logs has fixed it. My full backup job now working.
    • Marked as answer by Alex Farr Wednesday, January 2, 2013 10:13 AM
    Monday, December 24, 2012 3:21 PM

All replies

• have you tried a full backup?

Sukh

Sunday, December 23, 2012 3:00 AM
  • Yes full backup comitting the logs in backup exec and full backup using nt backup.
    Sunday, December 23, 2012 7:34 AM
  • created a completly new job for NT back and tested?

Sukh

Sunday, December 23, 2012 12:52 PM
  • Hi,Alex,

Would you please check the application event log on the Exchange server and see if there are some useful message?

Would you please check the database health with Eseutil ?

Also please create another new job for NT backup or create another new database store for nt backup to test if it works.

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen
    TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

• Edited by Sharon.Shen Monday, December 31, 2012 8:10 AM
    Monday, December 24, 2012 8:32 AM
  • Hi Sharon Nothing unusual in the event logs, I've run eseutil and it completes successfully without any errors. I've created a new backup exec job to copy and commit the logs and that seems to have worked ok, do I'll try another full backup now. Thanks Alex
    • Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Tuesday, December 25, 2012 1:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sharon.Shen Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:43 AM
    Monday, December 24, 2012 8:52 AM
  • Alex

Did you not try that before when mentioned? Does it work now?

Sukh

Monday, December 24, 2012 3:01 PM
  • No nt backup didn't fix it, seems as though by doing a copy and a committing the logs has fixed it. My full backup job now working.
    • Marked as answer by Alex Farr Wednesday, January 2, 2013 10:13 AM
    Monday, December 24, 2012 3:21 PM