none
WORKGROUP member doesn't appear on longterm/secondary dpm RRS feed

• Question

• Have i got this right?:

i protect a workgroupservers drives and system state from a primary dpm. all good so far. but the secondary dpm wont list this workgroup server from the primarys set of protected members. this is not possible at all in any way? 

since the secondary dpm is the one with long-term backup writing to tapes i will have to skip dr and backup the workgroupconnected member directly from the secondary dpm?

do tell if there's any other way or if this question is asked in the wrong forum

Ivarson

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

DPM is not able to protect workgroup or untrunsted domain servers with secondary protection :http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634170.aspx

You should attach these directly to the secondary if that's the only DPM Server used for Tape protection.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:45 AM
  • Thanks for your answer.

Is there no way (recommended or not) to DR-protect a workgroup-server?

The solution from Microsoft is simply to use a third-party backuptool, or is it to skip DR and backup from secondary as in previous posts?

Like adding the specific credentials manually on the secondary dpm,

or copying the data from prim. to sec. dpm?

Ivarson

• Edited by Ivarson Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:54 AM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:52 AM
  • This feature will be covered in DPM 2012. Prateek Sharma mentions this in the following blog.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/09/01/dpm-2012-certificate-based-protection.aspx

In the past the way I've worked around this is to protect the replica of the primary protection of the workgroup computer on the secondary DPM server. This does not allow the switch protection option but does allow at least a secondary copy of the backup. In the case where the primary fails the workgroup data needs to be manually repointed to the Secondary DPM server and protection set up for that data source again (doubling up of data unfortunately).

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:38 PM