none
DPM 2010 - can't comunicate with agent in workgroup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

An agent dropped communication (prevously ran for 2 months with no problem)so I ran

C:\Users\Administrator>setdpmserver -dpmServerName dpm -isNonDomainServer -userN
    ame dpmuser

on the source

and in dpm managment shell ran

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> .\Update-NonDomainServerInfo.ps1
    DPMServer:: albums-web-virt
    PSName:: dpmuser
    New Password:: **********

the result is this.

Connect-DPMServer : The server albums-web-virt.AlbumsAustralia.local could not
    be found in Active Directory. (ID: 31144)
    Ping this server to verify that it is accessible and then retry the operation.
    If the server is accessible, verify that the DPM service is running and that th
    e current user has a domain account and is a member of the local administrators
     group. If the problem persists, contact your DPM administrator.
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\Update-NonDomainServerInfo.ps1:41 cha
    r:31
    + $dpmServer = Connect-DPMServer <<<<  $DPMServerName
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Connect-DPMServer], DlsExcept
       ion
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 31144,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.U
       I.Cmdlet.Common.ConnectDpmServer
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\Update-NonDomainServerInfo.ps1 : Unable
    to connect to albums-web-virt
    At line:1 char:33
    + .\Update-NonDomainServerInfo.ps1 <<<<
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorExcep
       tion
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorExceptio
       n,Update-NonDomainServerInfo.ps1

I'm really anoyed because I am on leave and the stupid thing decided to act up with this error, and an SQL deadlock error.

spent hours trying to fix it when I'm sposed to be on Holiday.Why can't these things happen when I'm not on holiday!

PP

pp
    Monday, September 6, 2010 11:33 PM

Answers

• Well seems that there is something wrong with Update_NonDomainserver info.ps1.

But strangely enough if I go via the GUI

Management->Agents , Install. Then pick workgroup and enter the credentials it connects to the agent in the workgroup succesfully.

I didn't suspect it was a problem with the agent on the workgorup server (why should it be it went from working to non working)

The problem here was that the password was expiring on the dpm user account.

Previous I had used setdpm server on the agent side, and update-nondomainserverinfo.ps1 on the dpm server to reconnect the agent.

THis time I reset the password (and set the password never to expire), when trying to use update-non-domainserverinfo.ps1 the agent would not connect

with "the server servername.domainname.local could not be found in active directory"( its a work group server so why is it querying active directory it should be using netbios to locate the server)

The solution-  use setdpmserver on the agent side to reset the password, and then use the GUI Management->install on the dpm server which simply connects the agent again.

pp
    • Marked as answer by PP1234 Monday, September 13, 2010 4:26 AM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 4:25 AM

All replies

• Hi

It seems like the verification went wrong. Stop the protection of the workload, reinstall the agent on the workload, attatch the client with the GUI.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Parag AgrawalModerator Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:29 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by PP1234 Monday, September 13, 2010 4:14 AM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:42 AM
  • Well seems that there is something wrong with Update_NonDomainserver info.ps1.

But strangely enough if I go via the GUI

Management->Agents , Install. Then pick workgroup and enter the credentials it connects to the agent in the workgroup succesfully.

I didn't suspect it was a problem with the agent on the workgorup server (why should it be it went from working to non working)

The problem here was that the password was expiring on the dpm user account.

Previous I had used setdpm server on the agent side, and update-nondomainserverinfo.ps1 on the dpm server to reconnect the agent.

THis time I reset the password (and set the password never to expire), when trying to use update-non-domainserverinfo.ps1 the agent would not connect

with "the server servername.domainname.local could not be found in active directory"( its a work group server so why is it querying active directory it should be using netbios to locate the server)

The solution-  use setdpmserver on the agent side to reset the password, and then use the GUI Management->install on the dpm server which simply connects the agent again.

pp
    • Marked as answer by PP1234 Monday, September 13, 2010 4:26 AM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 4:25 AM