Office365 SMTP relay - mail tracing - Does not show external mail RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

As above. I have an issue where I would like to see how mail flows from an internal business application, to users via office 365 SMTP relay.

I am able to see email that is destined for our users within mail trace on our O365 as well as on the relay server (those with an email address within our o365 domain) but no external mail addresses appear in mail trace at all. 

We have run tests on the internal application and mail does arrive to external mailboxes, just can't see anything within mailtrace. 

I have seen someone else have this issue but there is no indication of what the fix is, I am unable to provide a link to that thread but if you google smtp relay office 365 message trace it should be the first technet result you get. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Monday, August 19, 2019 2:21 PM

All replies

• Hi PinBall,

Which methods do you use to relay message? SMTP client submission or SMTP relay? Details see: How to set up a multifunction device or application to send email using Office 365.

Moreover, please use message header to analyze the relayed message's header, then check the “Submissting Host” and "Receiving Host" and see if the office 365 hop involves.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:37 AM
  • Hi Niko,

SMTP relay or option 3 from that guide. 

I Have checked through the message header analyzer.

I am not sure what you mean by "see if the office 365 hop involves". 

Can I send you the screenshot of the mail header analyzer in a private message please?

Kind regards

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 11:42 AM
  • Hi Pinball,

You can post the screenshot here with hiding some private information.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Monday, August 26, 2019 9:06 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2019 8:59 AM