Setting to show "Installing Managed Software..." message on startup? RRS feed

• Question

• On previous versions of Windows (XP for sure) when I would push out an application (.msi) via a GPO, when the package was being installed (after a restart) an informative message like "Installing Managed Software Adobe Acrobat Reader..." would display as the system started while the software install was in progress. 

Windows 7 just seems to say "Please Wait".  The software installs just fine, but I'd like my users to be aware of why it occassionally takes a bit for their system to start before they can login.  Is there a way to enable the more descriptive messages in Windows 7?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, May 13, 2011 8:09 PM

Answers

• Actually it is possible.

After some digging, I found that there is a GPO setting to make our Win7 systems show the "Installing Managed Software..." and other messages. It is:

Computer Configuration-->Policies-->Administrative Templates-->System-->Verbose vs normal status messages (Set to enabled).

• Marked as answer by Tim_CMU Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:07 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, this behavior is by design. We cannot change this manually.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Actually it is possible.

After some digging, I found that there is a GPO setting to make our Win7 systems show the "Installing Managed Software..." and other messages. It is:

Computer Configuration-->Policies-->Administrative Templates-->System-->Verbose vs normal status messages (Set to enabled).

• Marked as answer by Tim_CMU Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:07 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:06 PM
  • hi Tim,

Thanks for figuring out. :(

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:24 AM