none
Web application calls to SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys.  I'm a SQL Server DBA, but know nothing about application connectivity to SQL from custom web apps.  (I do know how to test host connectivity using a ODBC DSN with latest SQL Native Client 11.)  We have in-house web apps connecting to a SQL 2008 R2 SQL Server.  In Activity Monitor, on the SQL 2008 R2, I see connections being made from IIS.  Is it safe to assume those connections are asp.net pages? We are migrating the databases to a SQL Server 2014 AlwaysOn cluster.  One thing I know we need to test is the web apps compatibility with TLS 1.2 which is enforced on our SQL 2014.  Beyond that, do i need to have a conversation with the app/dev team about upgrading their apps client connectivity?  I thought maybe they need to upgrade .Net framework or other client connection libraries on their web servers?  I admit I'm clueless here, so sorry if it's a dumb question.  I just want to ask the question here before discussing with the app dev team.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:11 PM

All replies

• Hi District9,

Per your description,  I think one possibility  is that the issue may be more related to .Net.  You can post your issue in the corresponding forum, and you will get professional help. .Net Forum

By the way , If you update SQL 2008 R2 SQL Server to SQL Server 2014 AlwaysOn cluster,  please change the servername to the listener of AG in the connection string.

Best Regards,

Rachel

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:41 AM