User Details in People Picker RRS feed

• Question

• I am very confused on how People Picker works in SharePoint 2007. 

My understanding is that it retrieves information from Active Directory (Auth. is Windows) but it does not display the same information as it is displayed in the Outlook or when I view it in the Active Directory utility.

To test it; selected a user who was displayed correctly in both Active Directory and in People Picker. I modified that user in the Active Directory but his updated information was not display in People Picker.

I feel like I am missing something; could someone help?

Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:54 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

I understand that your people picker doesn’t get the updated user information from AD. As far as I know, the people picker will get user information from user information list. If user is not in the user information list, it will get information from AD. After a user logs on to a site collection , he is added into the user information list for the site collection. You can view the user information list using the URL like this : http://servername/_catalogs/users/simple.aspx.

After a user is edited in AD, you need to ‘start incremental import’ under User Profiles and Properties. Then the updated data will be imported to user profile. The changes are not reflected in site collection user information list, you need to start a timer job to sync the changes from user profile to user information list .This timer job is scheduled to start every an hour, you can change it to every 1minutes: stsadm –o sync –synctiming m:1.

As a summary, you need to take the steps below to get the updated information show up in people picker:

• Change the timer job schedule to 1minutes: stsadm –o sync –synctiming m:1(This command only needs to be run once)
      • Edit the user information in AD.
      • Open Central Administration>Shared Services>User Profiles and Properties>Start incremental import or Start Full import.
      • Wait for 1minutes to see the changes in people picker.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 21, 2012 5:27 AM
  • Shayaan,

If you have MOSS then there are two areas where user information is kept.  One is in the SSP user profile and the other is the user information list which is at the root of your site collection.  What gets displayed where can be a bit confusing until you have worked with it for a while.  Here is a link that sums it up really good, and this one is specific to SharePoint 2007.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/nishants/archive/2010/08/23/troubleshooting-user-profile-sync-issues-in-office-sharepoint-server-2007.aspx

Entan mentioned changing the sync timing to 1 minute.

stsadm -o sync -synctiming m:1

In general it is not really good to leave it syncing every one minute though.  Once you have made all of your AD changes and once those changes are replicated to SP then I recommend changing this back to once an hour.

stsadm -o sync -synctiming h:1

I don't often have problems with the sync to the SSP, but getting data to show up right in the user information list is a different matter.  The best way I have found to update users is to do these steps.

1. update the SSP by doing a full or incremental update

2. then in a SharePoint site add the user to a group (any SP group), uncheck send e-mail and click ok.

3. remove them from that group (if you don't want them there). 

I know this sounds odd but that seems to be the fastest way to update the user information list.   I have tried all of the other tricks, but new users or updated users just don't seem to get their info updated in the user information list that fast.

Friday, September 21, 2012 9:18 PM

All replies

• Where does SharePoint get the user information from?

In Central Administration; when we click on 'Add Users' and search for a user; a Webpage Dialog 'Select People and Groups' comes up and lists all users in the window.  I need to know where is this user information (Name, Title, Department...) coming from?

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:39 PM
  • As per my experience, user information depends on authentication mode for which site configured for, you can check authentication mode in web.config

w: blog.sandippatil.com | t: @sharesandip

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:58 PM
  • Where do I find this web.config file?
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Open IIS by Run -> Inetmgr

Go to Sites, then select any site and right clck on it and click Explore, this will open sites virtual folder. There you will get web.config

w: blog.sandippatil.com | t: @sharesandip

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:47 PM
  • I am running SharePoint 2007...
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Where does SharePoint get the user information from?

In Central Administration; when we click on 'Add Users' and search for a user; a Webpage Dialog 'Select People and Groups' comes up and lists all users in the window.  I need to know where is this user information (Name, Title, Department...) coming from?

Perhaps that information comes through the SSP's User profile imports from Active Directory?
    • Edited by lwvirden Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:43 PM typo fix
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:42 PM
  • It doesn't look like that it is getting information form Active Directory.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:20 PM
  • <authentication mode="Windows" />

Based on the information above; where is it getting the user information form?

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:14 PM
  • Hi,

If you are using Windows authentication for your web application, the People Picker control queries Active Directory to retrieve a list of users, groups.

This article has explained the people picker (although it is for SharePoint 2010:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg602068.aspx

Regards,

Xue-Mei Chang

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Xue-mei Chang

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:50 AM
  • Yes, I am using Windows Authentication but the information in People Picker (e.g. Title, Department etc) is different than what shows in the Outlook..

Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:15 AM
  • Could someone please help!
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Hi ,

I understand that your people picker doesn’t get the updated user information from AD. As far as I know, the people picker will get user information from user information list. If user is not in the user information list, it will get information from AD. After a user logs on to a site collection , he is added into the user information list for the site collection. You can view the user information list using the URL like this : http://servername/_catalogs/users/simple.aspx.

After a user is edited in AD, you need to ‘start incremental import’ under User Profiles and Properties. Then the updated data will be imported to user profile. The changes are not reflected in site collection user information list, you need to start a timer job to sync the changes from user profile to user information list .This timer job is scheduled to start every an hour, you can change it to every 1minutes: stsadm –o sync –synctiming m:1.

As a summary, you need to take the steps below to get the updated information show up in people picker:

• Change the timer job schedule to 1minutes: stsadm –o sync –synctiming m:1(This command only needs to be run once)
      • Edit the user information in AD.
      • Open Central Administration>Shared Services>User Profiles and Properties>Start incremental import or Start Full import.
      • Wait for 1minutes to see the changes in people picker.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming

Friday, September 21, 2012 5:27 AM
  • Again, I am using SharePoint 3.0 Central Administration.  How do I get to Central Administration>Shared Services?

I do not see an option listed as 'Shared Services' under any tabs.

Friday, September 21, 2012 12:03 PM
  • The Shared Services Provider (SSP) I believe is a MOSS feature.  There are two parts to SharePoint.  Windows SharePoint Services is the core components and gives you basic functionality.  Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) gives you enhanced features such as the SSP, some additional web parts, additional workflows, etc.  So with WSS only I beleive you don't get the SSP.

This may not be much help because it doesn't anwer your question, but hopefully it helps you understand why you are not seeing the link.  I could help a lot more if you had MOSS, unfortunately I don't understand how it works in WSS.

In MOSS, the info does come from AD, but the sync scheduling means that changes in AD are not immediately reflected in SharePoint.

Try making a change in AD and then adding that user you just changed as a member to a group in WSS.  Maybe that will do it.  That is a part of my procedure always.  Make a change, add them to a group, remove them.  This triggers something in SharePoint to make the update faster.

Friday, September 21, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Eric,  I do have MOSS and see that changes are not reflected immediately. And, it has do what Entan Ming mentioned in his reply.
    Friday, September 21, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Shayaan,

If you have MOSS then there are two areas where user information is kept.  One is in the SSP user profile and the other is the user information list which is at the root of your site collection.  What gets displayed where can be a bit confusing until you have worked with it for a while.  Here is a link that sums it up really good, and this one is specific to SharePoint 2007.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/nishants/archive/2010/08/23/troubleshooting-user-profile-sync-issues-in-office-sharepoint-server-2007.aspx

Entan mentioned changing the sync timing to 1 minute.

stsadm -o sync -synctiming m:1

In general it is not really good to leave it syncing every one minute though.  Once you have made all of your AD changes and once those changes are replicated to SP then I recommend changing this back to once an hour.

stsadm -o sync -synctiming h:1

I don't often have problems with the sync to the SSP, but getting data to show up right in the user information list is a different matter.  The best way I have found to update users is to do these steps.

1. update the SSP by doing a full or incremental update

2. then in a SharePoint site add the user to a group (any SP group), uncheck send e-mail and click ok.

3. remove them from that group (if you don't want them there). 

I know this sounds odd but that seems to be the fastest way to update the user information list.   I have tried all of the other tricks, but new users or updated users just don't seem to get their info updated in the user information list that fast.

Friday, September 21, 2012 9:18 PM