none
How do I Link a Resource Name to a Custom Field and Use Across Projects? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to add a custom field for Skill Set, and I want to identify which resources has which skill set.  I also want to know which project tasks require what skills.  My skill sets vary.  For example - they could be:  Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Written Communication, Public Speaking, Research Ability.   I want to be able to use the skill sets in various ways.  I want to indicate which skill set(s) is required for each task in my project, and I want to be able to indicate what skill set(s) my resources have.  So for a task related to providing training, I want to say show this task requires a skill of Publich Speaking.  Then I want to be able to look at my Public Speaking skill, and see which of my resources have that skill, so I can choose one of them to assign to that task.  I don't want to assign them all, necessarily - but maybe just one or two of them.   Additionally, if a project has resources assigned and is then the project is delayed, I want to look at my resources to see what skills they have, so I can determine where to reassign them.

And finally - ideally, I would like to be able to use my Skill Set list across multiple projects, the way I can use my Resource pool across projects.

Does anyone know how to do any part of this?

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Amy Anyone,

There are only a few fields that you can add data to on the "resource side" that is then visible on the "task side".  Name (resource view) is visible as Resource Name when you create the assignments.  Group (resource) is available as Resource Group on the task side.  One other field, Phonetics (resource) is visible on the task side (Resource Phonetics).  So, you could add the skills in the either the group field or the phonetics field. 

It would still be a manual process to filter the list of resources unless you use the Group field or autofilters.

Using the Skill set list across multiple projects on the task side certainly could be done as you could use a custom field with a value list - and then copy that list.  If you are using a resource pool - you're all set with the resource side of the equations.

I hope this helps.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:13 PM