How do I get my sticky notes content back? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying all day to get my sticky notes back.  Case # 1422989710

The Microsoft rep says I can't get them back.

I don't understand.  I have the StickyNotes.snt file and it has datain it.  Why is it not possible for me to get a Sticky Notes app to display that data?  The StickyNotes.snt file is where it belongs.  I haven't moved it.  And it's worked for the last year.  Why is it impossible to open my snt file in Sticky Notes.

Thanks.

Monday, April 16, 2018 8:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You could try to restore the old Sticky notes data by following the below steps.

Steps to restore/copy the old StickyNotes data file:

Step-1: 

Close the StickyNotes application.

Open Run, type %appdata%\Microsoft\Sticky Notes\ and press OK to navigate to the old StickyNotes app data file location.

Step-2: 

Open Run, type %localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Legacy\ and pressOK to navigate to the new StickyNotes app data file location.

Copy the old app data file StickyNotes.snt as ThresholdNotes.snt into this new StickyNotes app data location,

Step-3: 

Open the StickyNotes app, now automatically old data will be converted to new StickyNotes app data format.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73044-backup-restore-sticky-notes-windows-10-a.html

Try re-registering Sticky Notes app. Run following command in administrative Windows PowerShell:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by QuasarNibs Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:50 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2018 7:22 AM

All replies

• 1. Open File Explorer and copy: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Sticky Notes\StickyNotes.snt in the address bar
    2. Find and open StickyNotes.snt file with Notepad, Microsoft Word or Wordpad;
    3. View and find lost notes in the .snt file, copy the exact notes that you lost and and paste to a new Sticky Notes so to recover them.

4.You may also try to right-click on the StickyNotes.snt file and select Restore previous versions to recover the lost sticky notes. (This may replace your current version of the StickyNotes file and nothing can be undone again.)

You may also try free data recovery software.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 12:54 AM
  • Hi,

You could try to restore the old Sticky notes data by following the below steps.

Steps to restore/copy the old StickyNotes data file:

Step-1: 

Close the StickyNotes application.

Open Run, type %appdata%\Microsoft\Sticky Notes\ and press OK to navigate to the old StickyNotes app data file location.

Step-2: 

Open Run, type %localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Legacy\ and pressOK to navigate to the new StickyNotes app data file location.

Copy the old app data file StickyNotes.snt as ThresholdNotes.snt into this new StickyNotes app data location,

Step-3: 

Open the StickyNotes app, now automatically old data will be converted to new StickyNotes app data format.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73044-backup-restore-sticky-notes-windows-10-a.html

Try re-registering Sticky Notes app. Run following command in administrative Windows PowerShell:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by QuasarNibs Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:50 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2018 7:22 AM
  • Thanks, Carl.

That worked!

Brian

PS Thanks also to S. Sengupta's response, although snt notes apparently can't be viewed in Notepad except as gibberish.  So far, the only program I've found to decode them is Sticky Notes.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:53 AM