none
MS Project crashes cause reset of values in some task fields RRS feed

• Question

•  

WHEN IT HAPPENS: Sometimes MS Project stops working. It happens occasionally but with consequence big enough to be a problem. Unfortunately I cannot reproduce it in a regular manner.

WHAT HAPPENS: When I re-open the project some information gets reset: task name to empty string, task cost settings to 0. Usually happens to tasks close to each other.

CONSEQUENCE: False information and delay in my tasks. I regularly waste a lot of time to discover the problem caused by crash and correct it.

I would need more time to analyze what action precedes those situations to give you more feedback.

1. At your first glimpse, does it resemble any known bug?

2. When crashing, MS Project does not prompt to send a report to Microsoft. Is there any possibility to make it create, show and send this report?

Thank you.

Friday, July 15, 2011 7:08 AM

Answers

• My question to Sven was marked by Mark Glen as an answer to my original question.

Is there any logic in that?

dzieciou,

IMO, the application crash issue seems like a problem caused by the other components or add-ins installed in your system. I would suggest you contact the product support.

No activity since July simply indicates the thread has been abandoned by the poster. I agree with Mike. Some other forums automatically change the status of an open thread to "abandoned" and close the thread according to the date of the last post.

Sunday, January 8, 2012 7:15 PM

All replies

• Which Project Version you are using? Do you have latest patches for it ? Is it standalone or Project Server mode?
    Sapna S
    Friday, July 15, 2011 7:47 AM

• Which Project Version you are using? Do you have latest patches for it ? Is it standalone or Project Server mode?
    Sapna S

MS Project Professional 2010

Version: 14.0.4760.1000 (32-bit)

Standalone 

I understand that MS Project Updates are integrated with Windows Updates. If so, I everything is up-to-date. If no, where can I download possible patches?

Friday, July 15, 2011 8:04 AM
  • You can download SP1 for Project from : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2460052

I would suggest that you run June 2011 Cumulative Update for Microsoft Project when you install SP1 : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2536590

Read both of the KBs before installation CU KB does remove the issue of sudden crash of the application. Get back to us if the issue doesn't resolve.

Sapna S
    Friday, July 15, 2011 9:44 AM
  • Hello dzieciou,

did the update of the Proejct Professional 2010 client solve your problem?

I ask since we face a similar problem were we sometimes (not very often) loose task information as task names etc.

Thanks and kind regards

Sven

Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:31 AM
  • Hello Sven,

No. Unfortunately update of Project Prof 2010 (with SP1 + HotFix) did not help. Neither reinstallation of it.

The problem still occurs in a random fashion. So far I found it demonstrates by:

* reseting task names

* reseting task work value

* extending finish date of task already done to 2049. 

Loosing project information, even not frequently, is something I as Project Manager, neither my boss can accept. In other words, this is blocking problem for my work.

Have you found any solution to that?

Thank you and kinds regards

Sunday, July 24, 2011 6:34 PM
  • What behavior prompts the crash?  Is it accessing a drop down list of values?  Changing task type?
    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:34 PM
  • This time there was no crash, so perhaps the problem is not caused by the crash.

However, what I have found is that this problem appears when I open the plan together with the shared ResourcePool and I agree to enable macro (for scheduling?) in the ResourcePool.

When I repeated plan opening without opening ResourcePool no such problem occured: date were not reset.

Thank you.

Monday, July 25, 2011 6:23 AM
  • Hello Sven,

What action precedes the issue in your case?

Thank you

• Marked as answer by Mike GlenModerator Tuesday, December 27, 2011 10:36 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by dzieciou Sunday, January 8, 2012 9:08 AM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 1:04 PM
  • My question to Sven was marked by Mark Glen as an answer to my original question.

• Edited by dzieciou Sunday, January 8, 2012 9:06 AM
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 9:06 AM
  • Yes!  We have no way to close down un-ended threads except by marking them Answered.  I did so for this thread as there had been no response to the question you posed back on 25 Jul 11.  I assumed that the original poster had solved his issue somehow or is living with it, otherwise he would have posted back - as he still can, irrespective of whether it's marked as Answered.

Mike

Sunday, January 8, 2012 5:07 PM

dzieciou,

IMO, the application crash issue seems like a problem caused by the other components or add-ins installed in your system. I would suggest you contact the product support.

No activity since July simply indicates the thread has been abandoned by the poster. I agree with Mike. Some other forums automatically change the status of an open thread to "abandoned" and close the thread according to the date of the last post.

Sunday, January 8, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Fix your ms project via fixing .mpp files

Article http://www.mppfiles.fixmpp.com will solve your troubles

On that website, it says "supported my Microsoft" in the headline. What is the extent of this support ?

Friday, August 2, 2013 12:29 PM