agent is installed on each of the DPM servers.<o:p></o:p>

I use backup
    using child partition snapshot to protect the VM’s.<o:p></o:p>

What will happen
    if I move a VM from one host to another?<o:p></o:p>

I move the
    VM’s using the VMM migration option.<o:p></o:p>

Do I need
    to update the protection group manually or will it be updated automatically?<o:p></o:p>

Is there a
    script that will do the update for me?<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Thanks<o:p></o:p>

Itamar<o:p></o:p>

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:53 AM

All replies

• You need to have a SCVMM 2012 SP1 server and enable the VMM mobility feature on the DPM 2012 SP1 server. Then the DPM server keeps track on where the VM is and continues protecting it. If you don't do that, backup will fail, you will then have to stop protecting the VM, retain data and add protection again. For infrequent migrations this works, but for large scale deployments this is impossible to do manually.
    • Proposed as answer by Mario.Marti Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:00 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:52 AM
  • Hi,

Marcus is absolutely correct.  Here is the TechNet article describing the steps necessary for Protecting Hyper-V machines using Live Migration. 

See section "Protecting Hyper-V machines using Live Migration"
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757866.aspx#bkmk_protectvmwithsmb 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:46 AM