Biztalk 2009 and Pulling Data From JDE World RRS feed

• Question

• Gang:

I have an upcoming project which involves utilizing Biztalk 2009 to pull data from JDE World A7.3 hosted on an iSeries.  Although I'm realatively fluent in Biztalk development, this will be the first project in which I've pulled data from this type of environment.  What's the best approach to do this?  I realize this is a very open ended question, but I'm sort of looking for a how-to/best practices discussion.  Has anyone done this before?  What steps did you take?  I've found much info on OneWorld and EnterpriseOne, but nothing for good ol' World.  Thank you ahead of time for any information.

ac

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:20 PM

Answers

• If the data can be pulled directly from DB2 you can use BizTalk Adapter for DB2. As you wish to pull data frequently you can use Pooling Interval with Pooling Unit of Measure. BizTalk already already supports many adapters so you could think about using existing adapters based on whichever protocol is supported on JDE/DB2 side. Also, if your requirement doesn't match the requirement, you can think about developing a Custom Adapter for your scenario:

http://www.microsoft.com/biztalk/en/us/adapter-pack.aspx 
    http://blogs.msdn.com/biztalk_adapter_development/  

By the way what you are doing with the message/received data after receiving to the Biztalk? If your requirements is only pooling data, the suggestion given by biztodo to use DTS/SSIS packages etc can be used for data transforming between different data sources. (Saved your money to pay for BizTalk).

Also if you could give a bit more information about your scenario, we could probably suggest best patterns you could use. 

Please mark it as Answer if this answers your question
    Thanks.
    Mo
    The contents I write here is my personal views, not the view of my employer and anyone else.
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 7:13 PM
  • Hi AC,

BizTalk supports through its adapters Enterprise Applications such as JDEdwards. It will according to info provided by Mohan support version 8.xx. But you can look at old BizTalk Adapters from Enterprise Applications that support Version 7.3.3. OpenWorld XE. You can read my article from Hotrod 8 to see which adapters support which version Enterprise Application. An option could be to write your own WCF LOB Adapter and/or look at adapters samples.

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Hi ACCDev,

There are lot of ways and patterns you can establish here. Obviously the pattern depends on the business need for the data.Sometimes data is required to transmitted immediately whereas in other cases you could have a batch run. There are many ways to do this.

Some suggestions -

Export data from DB2 using DB2 processes in csv or text formats. Subscribe using existing file adapters and pipelines. You can also explore other options for export such as DTS package which will export data from Db2 to SQL Server. Then you can also poll from SQL Server

You should also explore available options with the BizTalk Db2 adapter for performance.

For guranteed delivery you can have messages sent to MSMQ and biztalk subscribe from there.

Biz

Thursday, May 6, 2010 5:55 PM

All replies

• You can refer the Adapter Included with BizTalk 2009 to know the required adapter for you. Check the version you are going to integrate with BizTalk is supported http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/biztalkr2adapters/thread/387e1461-ca2c-41a1-846d-17b1e258e6d4

Thanks.
    Mo
    The contents I write here is my personal views, not the view of my employer and anyone else.
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:57 PM
  • Hi AC,

BizTalk supports through its adapters Enterprise Applications such as JDEdwards. It will according to info provided by Mohan support version 8.xx. But you can look at old BizTalk Adapters from Enterprise Applications that support Version 7.3.3. OpenWorld XE. You can read my article from Hotrod 8 to see which adapters support which version Enterprise Application. An option could be to write your own WCF LOB Adapter and/or look at adapters samples.

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Right.  The main issue and reason for this posting is that, to the best of my knowledge, there are no prebuilt adapters for JDE World, regardless of version.  Again, I'm not referring to OneWorlde, EnterpriseOne, or OpenWorld XE.  The specific peice of JDE software is called World A7.3.  Are you saying that I could utilize an adapter meant for another JDE product?

Now, given that there doesn't appear to be any adapters for this, I'm left with the task of trying to get data from this system in a real time (or near real time) fashion.  I believe World DOES sit on top of DB2 which, then, leads me to believe that the next best option is to utilize the DB2 adapter. However, I'm still not sure as to what the best way to try to keep a real-time approach is.  Should JDE push the data to Biztalk?  If so, are there any mechanisms in place to facilitate that (web services, etc?)  Should Biztalk simply poll the DB2 database frequently (every minute)? 

Sorry, there are lots of questions in there, but, again, thanks ahead of time to anyone responding.

ac

Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:02 PM
  • Hi ACCDev,

There are lot of ways and patterns you can establish here. Obviously the pattern depends on the business need for the data.Sometimes data is required to transmitted immediately whereas in other cases you could have a batch run. There are many ways to do this.

Some suggestions -

Export data from DB2 using DB2 processes in csv or text formats. Subscribe using existing file adapters and pipelines. You can also explore other options for export such as DTS package which will export data from Db2 to SQL Server. Then you can also poll from SQL Server

You should also explore available options with the BizTalk Db2 adapter for performance.

For guranteed delivery you can have messages sent to MSMQ and biztalk subscribe from there.

Biz

Thursday, May 6, 2010 5:55 PM
  • If the data can be pulled directly from DB2 you can use BizTalk Adapter for DB2. As you wish to pull data frequently you can use Pooling Interval with Pooling Unit of Measure. BizTalk already already supports many adapters so you could think about using existing adapters based on whichever protocol is supported on JDE/DB2 side. Also, if your requirement doesn't match the requirement, you can think about developing a Custom Adapter for your scenario:

http://www.microsoft.com/biztalk/en/us/adapter-pack.aspx 
    http://blogs.msdn.com/biztalk_adapter_development/  

By the way what you are doing with the message/received data after receiving to the Biztalk? If your requirements is only pooling data, the suggestion given by biztodo to use DTS/SSIS packages etc can be used for data transforming between different data sources. (Saved your money to pay for BizTalk).

Also if you could give a bit more information about your scenario, we could probably suggest best patterns you could use. 

Thanks.
    Mo
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 7:13 PM
  • Thanks for all of the answers.  I'm utilizing the DB2 adapter and simply creating a receive locations which pulls the data on a schedule.  Not the most elegant solution but I believe it's the best approach for this situation.

Thanks again.

accdev

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:36 PM