SATA Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

Just before I did a clean install of Vista RTM, I backed up all my files onto my Serial ATA hard drive, leaving my SCSI to take Vista onboard.

However, despite having the right drivers for the hard drive, and the right drivers for the PCI controller (I've tried both from Windows Update and the original installation CD), Vista still does not list the drive and I am unable to access my stuff. It's listed fine in Device Manager but nothing in Disk Management.

It's driving me crazy! Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 11:38 PM

All replies

• What motherboard are you using and is the onboard SATA a RAID device? In the BIOS do you have it set properly and not for RAID functionality? If it is set for RAID you may need to go into the RAID setup and make it a RAID 0 drive.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 4:13 AM
  • I'm not really sure, to be honest. All I know is that it worked in XP, I've changed nothing to it and now Vista won't let me access it even though it knows it's there.

Even if I take the thing out and attach it to a USB caddy, Vista recognises the USB Mass Storage device connected, and even the name and ID of the hard drive but it won't appear in Explorer as a removable drive.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 9:47 PM