none
Tasks Modified Timestamp Column and Notifications? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, we just went live with our Project Server Environment and I have a question. 

Our team members are getting notifications anytime the project is published.  I would have thought that they would only receive a notification if one of their tasks has changed. 

1) Shouldn't they receive a notification only if something (dates, names, %complete) has changed on a task they are assigned to? 

2) Is there a column to see a modified timestamp for each task?

I'm basically trying to understand how Project Server recognizes that a resources task has been modified, as opposed to a blanket the project has been published e-mail (which seems to be what resources are getting).

- Thanks so much!

• Edited by pallni Monday, February 2, 2015 4:36 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2015 3:14 PM

Answers

• pallni --

If your team members have the notification option enabled to receive e-mail messages whenever their tasks are changed, this will result in them receiving an e-mail message EVERY time you PUBLISH the project.  Several years ago, I reported this behavior as a bug to Microsoft, and they told me that this behavior is by design.

If that is true, this type of design is very frustrating for team members because it results in so many messages from Project Server that they begin to feel like the software is spamming them.  And then they simply ignore the messages, or they create a rule to send Project Server messages to the Recycle Bin.  So, I hate to tell you this, but what you are seeing is the way that the software works.

As to how you respond, your choices are to tell your team members to deselect the checkbox so that they do not get e-mail messages about changed tasks, or to disable the e-mail notifications feature entirely.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by pallni Tuesday, February 3, 2015 7:37 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2015 6:24 PM

All replies

• So I was able to query the 'taskmodifieddate' using the OData Tasks DB connection.  The modified date of all tasks gets updated on any publish.  Upon further internet searching, I found this.

Note                        

The TaskModifiedDate on the Task entity can't be used for the sync because all tasks are updated when a project is published.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/dn794163(v=office.15).aspx

I'm guessing alerts are sent out anytime this column is updated, thus when a user checks alert me when "My project tasks are modified", they are really signing up for "alert me anytime a project I am assigned to is republished".  If anyone can tell me I am wrong I would appreciate it.  Otherwise, I am disabling notifications because it is deceiving.</label>

• Edited by pallni Monday, February 2, 2015 5:26 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2015 5:13 PM
  • pallni --

If your team members have the notification option enabled to receive e-mail messages whenever their tasks are changed, this will result in them receiving an e-mail message EVERY time you PUBLISH the project.  Several years ago, I reported this behavior as a bug to Microsoft, and they told me that this behavior is by design.

If that is true, this type of design is very frustrating for team members because it results in so many messages from Project Server that they begin to feel like the software is spamming them.  And then they simply ignore the messages, or they create a rule to send Project Server messages to the Recycle Bin.  So, I hate to tell you this, but what you are seeing is the way that the software works.

As to how you respond, your choices are to tell your team members to deselect the checkbox so that they do not get e-mail messages about changed tasks, or to disable the e-mail notifications feature entirely.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by pallni Tuesday, February 3, 2015 7:37 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2015 6:24 PM
  • Thank you Dale.  I just stumbled on a similar thread while trying to search back to this one!  I don't know why i couldn't find it yesterday.

Very frustrating indeed.  It is somewhat embarassing that I will have to teach project managers to instruct their team members to turn this setting off as one of the first things they do.  I wish I could do it globally as there is almost no reason to have that setting checked. 

Thank you again for your assistance

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/43167012-2f89-451b-941b-cec88c1928d0/every-time-i-publish-a-project-it-sends-an-email-notification-to-task-owners-saying-their-task-has?forum=projectserver2010general

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 7:37 PM