Freezing when scrolling, when Aero Desktop Composition is enabled RRS feed

• Question

• I'm experiencing random freezing when scrolling on fresh installs of Windows 7 RTM (both 32- and 64-bit). The computer locks up completely and does not respond to Ctrl+Alt+Del. The problem does not occur when Aero Desktop Composition is disabled.

Misc details:
    - Occurs randomly in IE, Windows Help, and Windows Explorer. Does not occur in Firefox or Notepad.
    - Occurs with 4 different versions of the graphics driver for my Nvidia GTX 260, including 8.5.11.8593 (default driver on a fresh Windows install), 8.15.11.9038 (optional through Windows Update), and the latest 190.62 release direct from Nvidia.
    - Occurs when scrolling by either keyboard or mouse scroll wheel. Occurs with default keyboard and mouse drivers, as well as after installing the latest IntelliPoint and IntelliType software (I'm using a wireless MS keyboard and mouse).
    - Occurred on fresh OS installs, before installing any updated drivers or third-party software. Continues to occur after installing updated drivers and Windows Updates.

To reproduce:
    The problem occurs infrequently and seemingly randomly in regular usage, but I can consistently reproduce the problem with the following greatly exaggerated test.
    1. Open Control Panel > Power Options.
    2. Click "Tell me more about power plans" to open Windows Help.
    3. Expand all the Help answers (to make the page long enough to scroll).
    4. Scroll randomly and rapidly up and down, using either the mouse scroll wheel or pg-up/pg-down keys. After a while (under 30 seconds), the OS should freeze.

Any thoughts for a fix that doesn't require disabling Desktop Composition? Thanks!
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:52 AM

Answers

• Looks like this was indeed a graphics card driver problem. Upon installing a much older Nvidia driver for Vista (182.06, which predates all drivers listed as compatible with Win 7), the problem went away. I confirmed the driver as the source of the problem by reinstalling the latest Nvidia driver (problem returned) and then rolling back (problem gone).

Thank you both for the help.
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:31 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 5:50 PM

All replies

• I would suspect the keyboard and mouse software. The keyboard needs Intellitype Pro. Look here for your specific hardware and install the recommended version. Uninstall any previous versions first, reboot, then install the new version.

I could not reproduce the symptom as I am not using the same hardware.
    ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 10:57 AM
  • I would suspect the keyboard and mouse software. The keyboard needs Intellitype Pro .
    Thanks for the suggestion. I installed the latest IntelliType Pro and IntelliPoint software (7.0.260.0) but still experience random freezing when scrolling.

What else can I try? When troubleshooting, I pared down to a clean OS install with only necessary hardware (keyboard and mouse) connected, yet the problem still occurred. Since disabling Desktop Composition prevents the freezing, could this be a graphics card driver problem? But in that case, I've already tried 4 Nvidia driver versions...
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 1:31 PM
  • Hi,

Please also refer to the following suggestions to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Replace another mouse and keyboard for a test, such as PS/2 mouse.

2. Upgrade the Motherboard driver and install the Windows 7 compatible one.

3. Perform a Clean Boot and then scroll again.

4. Use the default Aero Themes.

What's the result?

Thanks,
    Novak
    Monday, September 28, 2009 9:53 AM
  • Which motherboard are you using?

Are the batteries fresh in the keyboard and mouse? (Yeah, I know, but a simple issue sometimes overlooked)

Did you test Win 7 RC before the RTM?

Novak's steps should help you identify the source of the issue.

ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    Monday, September 28, 2009 10:30 AM
  • @Novak Wu: Thanks, I'll post back after testing.
    @Nano Warp: My motherboard is an Asus P6T Deluxe V2. I didn't test Win 7 RC, unfortunately. At your suggestion, I replaced all batteries but still have the same problem - good thought though!
    Monday, September 28, 2009 11:13 AM
  • I noticed that Asus has chipset inf version 1014 and Intel has 1019. Of course, Asus may modify it for their use and Intel's is for their motherboard. (these are x64)

So, you have installed all of the Asus drivers and BIOS?

I think the rule out will be trying a wired keyboard and mouse.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 11:46 AM

• Here are the results of my troubleshooting, following Novak's suggestions. Thanks for the handy links, Nano Warp.

The following steps were performed in order. At the end of each step, the system was restarted and scrolling was tested according to the procedure in my first post, rapidly and randomly pressing pg-up/pg-down. The system consistently froze each time.

1. Powered off, unplugged all external devices. Plugged in PS/2 keyboard; no mouse attached (motherboard has only one PS/2 port).
    2. Installed latest motherboard driver available from Asus site (1014).
    3. Installed latest motherboard driver available from Intel site (1019).
    4. Clean booted, using msconfig to skip all startup items and non-Microsoft services.
    5. Clean booted with default "Windows 7" Aero Theme.

Hmm, what next? By the way, an extended test with Windows Memory Diagnostic found no problems.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 2:15 PM
  • Was all of the IntellitypePro/Intellitype software uninstalled prior to your testing?
    Monday, September 28, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Looks like this was indeed a graphics card driver problem. Upon installing a much older Nvidia driver for Vista (182.06, which predates all drivers listed as compatible with Win 7), the problem went away. I confirmed the driver as the source of the problem by reinstalling the latest Nvidia driver (problem returned) and then rolling back (problem gone).

Thank you both for the help.
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:31 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 5:50 PM