none
Protecting Mirrored Databases with DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am reading the following article

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2009/04/24/protecting-mirrored-databases-with-dpm-2007-sp1.aspx

The confusion is arising from the following lines

1. DPM will not be able to create a Recovery Point until you stabilize the data source because DPM will detect the change in state

What is meant by stabilizing the data source?

2. Anytime a database goes from non-mirrored to mirrored or vice versa, the data source will need to be removed and added to the protection group again.

Why would the database no from non-mirroed to mirrored or vice versa??? i think the database can go from being a primary and mirror state (failover) but failover between nodes doesn't mean that it is going from non-mirrored to mirror state. Does the article suggest that I have to re-create the protection group everytime there is a failover?

Friday, September 24, 2010 9:59 AM

Answers

• Hi
    (1) stablize here means completed consistency check.
    This is needed because DPM now protects a different physical copy.

(2) No
    If you no longer mirror a protected database or you start to mirror a protected database, only then it needs to be removed and recreated in order to process the neccessary changes.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:41 PM