Windows 7 beta instablity RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 is not a stable system on my Emachines 5405 laptop. It will install and work ok for a while and then freeze on reaching the desktop. I have installed it three times with similar results. I suspect an incompatibilty with the SIS video chipset. Another problem that I have found is that it will crash completely if I start the Chess Titan game (an obvious video problem).

The machine is an AMD Sempron 2800+ with 1 gig of RAM sharing 128 megs for video. I am dual booting with XP home which works fine in every respect. Memory and hard drive pass diagnostics.

I like what I see about Windows 7. I just can't see it for long. :-(

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Stoney439

This is your call, but you might want to consider not using that system for testing at this point in the beta process, especially if this is your production computer. 

If the system was pre-configured for XP Home, then it is expected that it will not meet the requirements for Windows 7 Ultimate.

Wait until the next build or the final version is released. By then all of the system requirements, documentation, and hardware drivers will be in place, as well as all of the different versions.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 10:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Stoney439

This is your call, but you might want to consider not using that system for testing at this point in the beta process, especially if this is your production computer. 

If the system was pre-configured for XP Home, then it is expected that it will not meet the requirements for Windows 7 Ultimate.

Wait until the next build or the final version is released. By then all of the system requirements, documentation, and hardware drivers will be in place, as well as all of the different versions.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 10:00 PM
  • Stoney439 said:

Windows 7 is not a stable system on my Emachines 5405 laptop. It will install and work ok for a while and then freeze on reaching the desktop. I have installed it three times with similar results. I suspect an incompatibilty with the SIS video chipset. Another problem that I have found is that it will crash completely if I start the Chess Titan game (an obvious video problem).

The machine is an AMD Sempron 2800+ with 1 gig of RAM sharing 128 megs for video. I am dual booting with XP home which works fine in every respect. Memory and hard drive pass diagnostics.

I like what I see about Windows 7. I just can't see it for long. :-(

I agree totally with what Ronnie said.  If you wish to forge on, if you can get to the desktop, you might try shutting off aero experience:
    right click on desktop
    personalize
    "window color"   near bottom of window
    uncheck  "enable transparency"
     click save changes button at bottom.

Note that if you then later change anything there (personalize window), transparency will (I think) be turned back on.

Kris -------- Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, E7200 2.53@3.8ghz, 2x1gb OCZ Reaper1150@1203, EVGA 9800GTX+ N873 , BFG GS-650, Vista Ult 32 SP1 / Win 7 7000
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 11:38 PM
  • Thanks for the input. I do consulting and techie work. The M5405 is something I carry along on service calls. There is nothing important on it. It should have the resources to run Win7 but is probably not ready for this build. I will try again on a desktop that should be better suited for it.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 12:02 AM
  • I have the same problem even with launching Windows Live Messenger but have fixed it by going into 'Troubleshoot' in the advanced display properties and turning the slider down to second in from the left. The problem seems to be with the display driver and DirectX and D3D. I have found you can usually slide this back to full acceleration once the apps in question are up and running. Other then that runs like a dream.

Hope that helps

Sony Vaio PCG-GRT816S (laptop), P4 2.8Ghz, 1gb Ram, NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600

• Proposed as answer by nickcollins71 Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:40 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:01 PM
  • Where is "advanced display properties" please?  Thanks!
    Kris -------- Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, E7200 2.53@3.76ghz, 2x1gb OCZ Reaper1150@1188, EVGA 9800GTX+ N873 , BFG GS-650, Vista Ult 32 SP1 / Win 7 7000
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:54 PM
  • Right click desktop, screen resolution, advanced settings, then the 'Troubleshoot' tab. 'Change Settings'
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:59 PM
  • Thanks!  My troubleshoot tab has nothing (button is greyed out).   EVGA Nvidia 9800GTX+ with 182.06
    Kris -------- Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, E7200 2.53@3.76ghz, 2x1gb OCZ Reaper1150@1188, EVGA 9800GTX+ N873 , BFG GS-650, Vista Ult 32 SP1 / Win 7 7000
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 12:04 AM