none
Delete Internet Explorer Recovery .dat files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have successfully been able to disable the Internet Explorer "Reopen last browsing session"  and "Automatic Crash Recovery Prompts" through a GPO. I have applied this to multiple Citrix servers in the hopes of saving space on all user folders.

While I have found this successfully disables this feature, it does not delete the .dat files created in the C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery\Active or Last Active folders. Windows/IE still creates these files for all users.

Is there a way to disable IE from creating these files? Seems like this should be an option since they allow you to disable the feature. 

Thanks!

Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Typically two folders are present by default, Active and LastActive. Sometimes a couple of other folders are seen, High and Low. All folders contain similar data, a few files
    with <GUID>.dat as their name and a single RecoveryStore.<GUID>.dat file per folder. GUIDs are in the standard format {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}.

Actually all the .dat under those folder is part of the tab recovery where user can reopen last session in IE and also include "travelog".

IE stores information for the current browsing session in C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery\Active. It creates a new file for a new tab opened, and does
    not clear the file if a tab is closed, most likely to power the ability to reopen previously closed tabs. When the browser’s last window is closed, IE checks active tabs and copies their
    .dat file from Active to Last Active.

Based on my deep research, you may execute below command to block the creation of .dat file.

icacls "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery" /deny *S-1-1-0:(OI)(WD,AD) /t

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Typically two folders are present by default, Active and LastActive. Sometimes a couple of other folders are seen, High and Low. All folders contain similar data, a few files
    with <GUID>.dat as their name and a single RecoveryStore.<GUID>.dat file per folder. GUIDs are in the standard format {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}.

Actually all the .dat under those folder is part of the tab recovery where user can reopen last session in IE and also include "travelog".

IE stores information for the current browsing session in C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery\Active. It creates a new file for a new tab opened, and does
    not clear the file if a tab is closed, most likely to power the ability to reopen previously closed tabs. When the browser’s last window is closed, IE checks active tabs and copies their
    .dat file from Active to Last Active.

Based on my deep research, you may execute below command to block the creation of .dat file.

icacls "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery" /deny *S-1-1-0:(OI)(WD,AD) /t

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:50 AM
  • Win 8.1 With IE 11.

How can I restore my IE tabs/sessions, by using the .dat files in the "Active Folders"?

I tried copying from last active to active, thinking IE would ask me to restore previously sessions when opening a fresh IE window.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Thomas

Monday, May 26, 2014 5:40 PM
  • Copy the Restore{GUID}DAT file from Active folder to Last Active folder.

Check Last Browsing Sessions on Tools in IE.

Friday, April 3, 2015 4:20 PM
  • why would I need to keep DAT files in my Active folder from three years ago? or even a month ago?
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 10:41 PM