cannot install vista, drive not bootable RRS feed

• Question

• i am trying to install vista 64 on a hard drive, but it says that the hardware on your computer might not support booting from this drive. Then when hitting next for the installation of windows to start, it says that windows could not find a drive that meets the requirements to install. This customer wants all 4 of his 750gb drives raid0 for a total of 3tb striped....  which i recommended against. But I cannot do this because of the limitation on the master boot record. Anything above 2tb you have to use gpt, but then you cannot boot from thatdrive so you cannot install windows on it. Customer insists on this being done, if we cant do this we will probably end up refunding him his money...any suggestions
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 7:50 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Please NTFS has the limitation, not Windows. Windows has got around the limitation by using GUID Partition Tables. In computer hardware, GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a standard for the layout of the partition table on a physical hard disk. It is a part of the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) standard proposed by Intel as a replacement for the PC BIOS, one of the few remaining parts of the original IBM PC. EFI uses GPT whereas BIOS uses a Master Boot Record (MBR).

If your motherboard doesn't support EFI, I suppose that you should not use GPT; otherwise Windows setup wizard could not recognize the HDD. For your current situation, I suggest you using dynamic disks or an application like unRAID or Windows Home Server that essentially aggregates your physical volumes by using dynamic volumes. I personally feel this is the least desirable and secure method.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, July 20, 2009 8:38 AM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please NTFS has the limitation, not Windows. Windows has got around the limitation by using GUID Partition Tables. In computer hardware, GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a standard for the layout of the partition table on a physical hard disk. It is a part of the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) standard proposed by Intel as a replacement for the PC BIOS, one of the few remaining parts of the original IBM PC. EFI uses GPT whereas BIOS uses a Master Boot Record (MBR).

If your motherboard doesn't support EFI, I suppose that you should not use GPT; otherwise Windows setup wizard could not recognize the HDD. For your current situation, I suggest you using dynamic disks or an application like unRAID or Windows Home Server that essentially aggregates your physical volumes by using dynamic volumes. I personally feel this is the least desirable and secure method.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, July 20, 2009 8:38 AM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:55 AM
  • Install OS on one 750G drive.
    Create Acronis or Backup exec image newly installed os.
    Stripe drives.
    Recover on RAID0 set.
    Resize Partition after completion.

Just a quick suggestion. Hope it Helps
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:01 PM