PE 1703 ISO boot hangs on ESX RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone, 

Troubleshooting and issue with ESX (5.5.0) VM, MDT 8443, and ADK 1703.  I am mounting the ISO in the Console and it boots to the Windows logo and hangs without ever loading PE.  I have tried both EFI and BIOS, there are no drivers in the boot image as the NIC is set to E1000.

I can take the same VM and mount an MDT boot image based on ADK 8.1 just fine.

I removed ADK 8.1 and installed ADK 1703, then upgraded MDT to the latest build.  I also updated ADK 1703 with the hotfix (driver signing issues with 2 files) for grins but still the same.

I have uninstalled, re-installed  both MDT and ADK, upgraded the deployment share, then completely regenerated the boot image.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 2:56 PM

Answers

• Nyner, yes, sorry for the late follow up.  Turned out to be the hardware version configured on the VM.  They set the hardware level up to the latest version on my test VM and it started working fine.  Sorry, not a VMWare guy so I dont have specifics but I imagine if you talk to your Hypervisor team they would likely know what i am talking about.  :-)
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 6:34 PM

All replies

• Some updated info.  I downgraded ADK to 1607, which allowed me to boot to Win PE and apply the image, however on the first reboot after laying down Windows 10 1703, it hangs now at the loading icon. Going to hopefully test with Hyper-V to see if it's specific to ESX or not.
    Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:40 PM
  • Hi William

Did you ever figure out what was wrong?

I have the same issue on ESXi 5.1

thanks

Monday, October 2, 2017 12:51 PM
  • It could be VMware related - their Windows 10 track record is spotty at best. During the last discussion I had with their product team a few weeks ago, Windows 10 1703 was still not supported (on horizon infrastructure that is). Regardless, you might be able to access Windows logs by pressing Shift+F10 during the specialize phase - Windows logs may hold a clue as to what is going wrong.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Monday, October 2, 2017 1:15 PM
  • Nyner, yes, sorry for the late follow up.  Turned out to be the hardware version configured on the VM.  They set the hardware level up to the latest version on my test VM and it started working fine.  Sorry, not a VMWare guy so I dont have specifics but I imagine if you talk to your Hypervisor team they would likely know what i am talking about.  :-)
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 6:34 PM