none
Import/Export in back stage view RRS feed

• Question

• What is the use of import/Export in back stage view of customize ribbon and Quick access toolbar
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 7:33 AM

Answers

• Shiv --

Pardon me for bumping into this thread.  Here is a scenario that might answer your question:

1. You create a customized ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar.  Your ribbon has a new tab called Initiate which contains the commands you use to initiate a new project, such as setting the Start date of the project, setting the Project and Nonworking Time calendars, etc.  Your customized Quick Access Toolbar contains the buttons you most frequently use, such as Zoom In, Zoom, Out, Scroll to Task, etc.
    2. A fellow PM sees how you have customized the ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar in your copy of Microsoft Project and asks if you would give him/her the customizations.
    3. You navigate to the Backstage and export your ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar customizations to an *.exportedUI file and you e-mail the customization file to your fellow PM.
    4. Your fellow PM launches Microsoft Project, navigates to the Backstage, walks through the import process, and imports the ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar customizations from the customization file you sent him/her.

As Guillaume correctly points out, this is how to transfer ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar customizations from one computer to another, or from one user to another.  One of the things I have done since Microsoft released the 2010 version Microsoft Project is to give my students a customization file that has customizations they can use in the real world with their ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar.  The export/import process is very easy, and very useful.  Hope this extra helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Saturday, December 20, 2014 6:25 PM
  • Hi Shiv PMC,

The use of this import/export feature is that you can transfer through a "exportedUI" type file customizations (of the toolbar and/or quick access bar) between computers.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by Shiv PMC Friday, January 2, 2015 9:54 AM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 12:59 PM
  • Hi Shiv,

This is like an extension (like doc for Word and xls for Excel) for transfering ribbon customization. You can export it from one machine and import it again on another machine.

Hope this helps,

Saturday, December 20, 2014 1:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Shiv PMC,

The use of this import/export feature is that you can transfer through a "exportedUI" type file customizations (of the toolbar and/or quick access bar) between computers.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 12:59 PM
  • Hi Guillaume Rouyre,

I can't able to understand what is exportedUI. Please send across the solution immediately.

With regards!!!

Shiv

Saturday, December 20, 2014 10:32 AM
  • Hi Shiv,

This is like an extension (like doc for Word and xls for Excel) for transfering ribbon customization. You can export it from one machine and import it again on another machine.

Hope this helps,

Saturday, December 20, 2014 1:53 PM
  • Shiv --

Pardon me for bumping into this thread.  Here is a scenario that might answer your question:

1. You create a customized ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar.  Your ribbon has a new tab called Initiate which contains the commands you use to initiate a new project, such as setting the Start date of the project, setting the Project and Nonworking Time calendars, etc.  Your customized Quick Access Toolbar contains the buttons you most frequently use, such as Zoom In, Zoom, Out, Scroll to Task, etc.
    2. A fellow PM sees how you have customized the ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar in your copy of Microsoft Project and asks if you would give him/her the customizations.
    3. You navigate to the Backstage and export your ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar customizations to an *.exportedUI file and you e-mail the customization file to your fellow PM.
    4. Your fellow PM launches Microsoft Project, navigates to the Backstage, walks through the import process, and imports the ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar customizations from the customization file you sent him/her.

As Guillaume correctly points out, this is how to transfer ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar customizations from one computer to another, or from one user to another.  One of the things I have done since Microsoft released the 2010 version Microsoft Project is to give my students a customization file that has customizations they can use in the real world with their ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar.  The export/import process is very easy, and very useful.  Hope this extra helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Saturday, December 20, 2014 6:25 PM