none
How to send instant message from AD server to all Cleints

Question

• Can someone help me with the script for sending instant message from my Domain controller/
    Active Directory Server to all the client machines running windows 7 and 8.

For example I need to send a message" Tomorrow will be a holiday" to all my users.

Peter.K

• Edited by Peter_Repco Tuesday, September 29, 2015 11:38 AM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2015 11:36 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you wanted do this with Group Policy, you could configure a custom logon message for users. They would get this message before logging into the computer.  Here is a link on setting that up: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/6030.windows-7-how-to-show-a-custom-text-message-before-logon-through-group-policy-preferences.aspx

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: Deploy Happiness

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 12:12 PM
  • I need to send instant message to all users..
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 5:26 AM
  • You can try

msg [*] "Your Message"

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 5:33 AM
  • > |msg [*] "Your Message"|

No - msg.exe sends messages to sessions on a named server. If you omit
    /Server, you will only send a message to yourself :)

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 3:31 PM
  • Hi,

Below article may be helpful to you if your system is Windows 7/2008

A net messenger script for Windows 7/2008:  https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/A-net-messenger-script-for-810f8331

I have tested in my environment, it successes in pop-up an instant message.

Please have a try.

Any questions, please let me know.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 9:04 AM
  • Hi Peter,

MSG.exe seems to be the easy way out here.

Try this PowerShell version PowerShell Multi-Threading Broadcast Using MSG.

Sends a message to all users in the specified serverlist parallelly\multi-threaded.

Please find similar recent thread

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 11:35 AM
  • Is it possible  to execute this script in an Domain controller with 700 clients desktops?
    Friday, February 5, 2016 7:20 AM
  • My setup is like this..

I have an AD with around 700 clients running win 7 and 8.1. I need to send an instant POP up message to all users.

If i execute "netmessenger-eng.vbs " script from my AD server with * option, will it POP up the message or Do I need to do any changes in group policy?

Kindly revert.

Peter.K

Friday, February 5, 2016 7:35 AM
  • My setup is like this..

I have an AD with around 700 clients running win 7 and 8.1. I need to send an instant POP up message to all users.

If i execute "netmessenger-eng.vbs " script from my AD server with * option, will it POP up the message or Do I need to do any changes in group policy?

Kindly revert.

Peter.K

Friday, February 12, 2016 11:02 AM
  • I selected * option and i was not able to end the process.
    Friday, February 19, 2016 11:00 AM
  • I have tried this. it is working for few machines. for others it is showing as seems to be offline even if the users are logged in.
    Monday, March 14, 2016 7:43 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Please try running the msg.exe directly on cmd.exe without using the script targeting those PCs. This will tell if there is an issue with the script or most likely msg.exe is not able to reach it.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Sunday, April 3, 2016 8:58 AM