none
Turning on/off Windows features with powershell RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Scripting guys,

I am in the process of moving some of my computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10. We have a very large environment with a lot of Admin personnel. I am looking for a way that I can run a script to turn Windows features on for admin personal after an image or turn them off if the admin no longer needs them. I have done some research online and found that there are commands but they don't work for me (get-WindowsOptionalFeature, Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature); they all say that it is not a cmdlet. do I need a module? So as always I come to the experts. If I wanted to turn on the administrative features in a windows 7 or windows 10 box, what would be the best way?

Thursday, October 13, 2016 1:59 PM

Answers

• Well, I was unable to find out why I was getting no information however I was able to figure out how to enable the Features. so here is what I did.

run Get-ClientFeature, you will see all of the features name and state. When turning on a feature you use the ADD-ClientFeature cmdlet (Add-ClientFeature -name (feature name). You have to use the entire name in the name column from your get-clientfeature output.  Without it, you will get a error.

Example:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Add-ClientFeature –Name RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Features-StorageManager -Force

response:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Add-ClientFeature –Name RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Features-StorageManager -Force

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7601.18489 Enabling feature(s)

The operation completed successfully.

Thanks guys; I hope this helps someone else.

• Marked as answer by Richardlaw Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:12 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:12 PM

All replies

• The cmdlets seem to be new in Windows 10. They are not available in Windows 7.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:21 PM
  • I was just informed that they are available in Windows 7 with the PSClientManager Module. They are built in to Windows 10. I am downloading and testing it  now. Thank you for the response.
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:25 PM
  • Too bad the help for the cmdlets don't make the requirements clear.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:29 PM
  • So it is built in for Win 10 and for Win 7 you have to load the PSClientManager Module. after that its fairly simple.  Here is a good link for the Win 7.

http://psclientmanager.codeplex.com/

Thanks for your help.

• Marked as answer by Richardlaw Thursday, October 13, 2016 4:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Richardlaw Thursday, October 13, 2016 4:37 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 4:20 PM
  • Now I am encountering an issue, for me to be able to successfully test this I will need to be able to enable a feature. When I use the Get-ClientFeatureInfo command I get a blank response or no response. Shown below. Any thoughts?

When I try to use other features it outputs no response.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 4:42 PM
  • You need to ask the author of the module. (We didn't write it.)

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Thursday, October 13, 2016 4:47 PM
  • I will, thank you bill I will post any information I find.
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 4:49 PM
  • Well, I was unable to find out why I was getting no information however I was able to figure out how to enable the Features. so here is what I did.

run Get-ClientFeature, you will see all of the features name and state. When turning on a feature you use the ADD-ClientFeature cmdlet (Add-ClientFeature -name (feature name). You have to use the entire name in the name column from your get-clientfeature output.  Without it, you will get a error.

Example:

response:

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7601.18489 Enabling feature(s)

The operation completed successfully.

Thanks guys; I hope this helps someone else.

• Marked as answer by Richardlaw Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:12 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:12 PM
  • The module is nothing but a wrapper around DISM:

DISM /Online /Get-Features /Format:List

You can do all of these things with DISM but the module creates objects from the strings for convenience.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:17 PM
  • Thank you JRV, I am going to look that up.
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:29 PM
  • DISM /?

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:34 PM