none
MDT 2010 Mass Storage Driver Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having problems trying to deploy XP to a new HP workstation (a stand-alone unit that will be controlling hardware that is not compatible with anything more recent than XP). Using MDT 2010 I have added the XP drivers for the correct model to Out-Of-The-Box Drivers, updated the deployment share and can boot the LitetouchPE via PXE but when I select the 32bit XP deployment it fails stating that no hard drive is detected due to missing mass storage drivers. After attempting to update the LitetouchPE with the mass storage driver using DISM I get the same result. I have gone through every thread I can find relating to this and can't find anything that suggests a fix other than to ensure the drivers are updated using the method above. Is there something I'm missing?

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:57 AM

All replies

• 1. I want to make sure your HD in the BIOS is set to ATA not RAID or AHCI for windows xp.

2. How did you create your WinPE boot file?

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:16 PM
  • Bizarelly it's now detecting the drive  (although it BSOD on reboot after the image is applied). Not sure what is different today that I didn't do yesterday? In response to your questions; the SATA emulation in BIOS is set Legacy IDE as there is no ATA option (I tried with AHCI just to see if the results where different but nothing changed).

The WinPE boot image was generated a long time ago by my colleague who has now left. I have only updated it by updating the MDT Deployment share (I don't select the option to completely regenerate the boot images, just to optimise the image ).

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:16 PM
  • Okay. Good practice on legacy systems is to update the BIOS on those machines. Ensure it is set to ATA or Legacy IDE for XP. The WinPE is crucial here.. In MDT the default selection is to include only network and mass storage drivers from your selection profile. But you have to make sure you indeed included all the relevant drivers and the correct "selection profile" is set.

Dell and HP both are pretty good in their organization of drivers but its only as good as the user who selects the appropriate downloads :)

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:23 PM